Company slammed for 'preferably Caucasian' job posting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/company-s...b-posting-033126917--abc-news-topstories.html
    2019 and someone was this stupid?

2. Solver, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019

Solver macrumors 6502a

That’s as racist as using “Preferably Asian…” or “Preferably African...” or ...

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I am not defending what they did at all, but this stuff does happen, it just isn't advertised.

Many years ago, I worked in a big box home improvement store as a loss prevention officer, and I wasn't allowed to work in certain stores because the color of my skin and my ethnicity.

While it wasn't advertised, management would always pick the desired skin tone for certain stores.

Advertising something like this is just plain dumb.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But at least it's honest and open..

If I were looking for a job I'd rather know in advance if the company is looking for something specific before I go through the process of applying, it saves everyone lots of time.

5. LordVic macrumors 603

I think the point though is that what does it matter if it's Caucasian or not? how is being Caucasian even a requirement for the job?

The colour of ones skin should never be a relevant factor for hiring. Neither should gender. Neither should religion. etc

it should solely be based on job functionality and qualifications to do that job.

6. JayMysterio, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

[​IMG]

Yeah.

It's like the times when they used to post signs in the window letting you know certain people shouldn't apply for jobs, or even enter an establishment.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Them not going to higher the non-caucasian anyway

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

See above

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yeah, I'd rather a company announce its racism than waste time applying at such a place.

Hopefully it puts them out of business :)

10. LordVic macrumors 603

While I do agree with your original premise, that this at least publicly lets us know that this company is run by a bunch of racist ******s

it's still wrong :p

Any company I ever see with such practices, I refuse to patronize. And I hope they go out of business and their racist owners/hiring managers wind up poor with no job options.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I did. When I quoted you, you hadn't added the last line, to seem more moderate.

If they aren't going to hire anyone non caucasian they should be called out. You want to advertise that way, it means you don't think it's an issue that the public knows you aren't willing to hire just anyone qualified, but a certain group of individuals. It means you aren't concerned with the public fallout.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Actually I'd rather people like that announce themselves rather than hide, show us all your true colors.

13. Sciomar, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

Agreed, it's only okay to put out job notices specifically hiring minorities only, those aren't racist. /s

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Right! You see so many of those all over the place, I wondered why there hadn't been more articles on PRSI about that.

I think that's an actual issue that many have talked about with the current administration. That more people do feel empowered to announce themselves. Those same people though often don't care for the consequences for announcing themselves afterwards.

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Those companies should be held to the same standard. Do you have an example? Or is this an attempt to conflate this with affirmative action?

16. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

That was actually the case with some promotion boards in the military, at least where I was, good ol' quotas!

It's sad that we're in the year 2019 and jobs/promotions can't all just be merit based, let every person be measured based on pure performance and see how the pieces fall.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2019 ---
    Pure sarcasm, I forgot the "/s", my bad!

17. JayMysterio, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

As @Raid asked, we'd need actual documentation, as anecdotal stories can often be unreliable.

Where some saw quotas, others saw giving previously overlooked or disenfranchised individuals an opportunity.

In this case with this company, it seems like a straight out calling to overlook & disenfranchise. Which may lead to later on when called out for such behavior, ... wait for it ..."quotas" to redress.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

When we can rule out race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation as significant factors affecting socioeconomic standards then we will get to that point. It's sad that it's 2019 and we've still got a ways to go.

19. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Will Victoria's Secret Inc be accused of discrimination if they ever post "Hiring new VS models, preferably not fat."

20. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

When I was conducting interviews, I was instructed to try and hire women only. How about let's hire the best candidate!!!.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Just a little context for those interested, the Cynet Systems appears to be a staffing company and the posting was for a client. Looks like someone at Cynet screwed up and failed to screen that one out.

22. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Probably be protected under BFOQ?

23. LordVic macrumors 603

Whoever told you to do that was wrong.

24. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

On a related note I’d like to know how we’re still getting news about habitual domestic violence? I feel like at this point in history if I don’t greet every female with a warm but not creepy or lingering smile I’ll get doxed on the internet and looking at assault charges. How are repeated old school beatdowns even possible?