Compare and Contrast

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
the one in the right is treated as less than human in many regards. can she drive a car in saudy arabia? how about remove her burka w/o being lashed a few times?

aside from that, I have no problem with either pic.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
aside from that, I have no problem with either pic.
No problem with violent extremism mixed with nationalism mixed with religion?

the one in the right is treated as less than human in many regards. can she drive a car in saudy arabia? how about remove her burka w/o being lashed a few times?
I dunno, she can run around with a gun and holy book without impediment, apparently.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The woman on the right is free to dress how she wants, speak her mind publicly, defend herself with arms and worships as she sees fit.

And there is a satirical element to the tweet.

The woman on the left would be stoned for being raped or walking around alone at night, probably isn't allowed to drive, or read, or go to a movie or do much of anything other than blow people up. Oh, and she isn't free to worship. Changing faiths would result in a beheading probably.

Satirical? Good question.

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
1.No problem with violent extremism mixed with nationalism mixed with religion?

2.I dunno, she can run around with a gun and holy book without impediment, apparently.
1.what is "violent" about the woman on the left?

2. the woman on the left is posing right outside her some, the one one the right better pose inside a cave before she gets caught & beheaded.

neither woman affects you.

----------

The woman on the right is free to dress how she wants, speak her mind publicly, defend herself with arms and worships as she sees fit.

The woman on the left would be stoned for being raped or walking around alone at night, probably isn't allowed to drive, or read, or go to a movie or do much of anything other than blow people up. Oh, and she isn't free to worship. Changing faiths would result in a beheading probably.

I think you have them flipped, on my PC the American is on the left, the Muslim is on the right.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Whoa, I didn't know this. :eek:

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I prefer to focus on the common ground. Both want to use their religion to control others.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'm curious to know what the text says captioning the picture of the woman in green, and its context. Is it similar to the text and context of that of the woman in blue?

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
I would like to know this as well.
Not sure about the text in the Tweet. But, this is from getty Images.

Image Of Female Suicide Bomber
Caption:GAZA CITY, GAZA STRIP - UNDATED: In this undated handout image, Reem Slaleh Raiyshi, a mother of two children from Gaza stands holding a weapon and the Quran holy book. Raiyshi was named as the woman who blew herself up January 14, 2004 at the major Erez Crossing point between Israel and the Gaza Strip, killing at least four Israelis and wounding approximately seven others. (Photo by Getty Images)
getty
Her videotaped message (from Wikipedia)
Wearing combat fatigues and holding an automatic rifle with a rocket-propelled grenade in the foreground, Riyashi said that since age 13 she had dreamed of turning "my body into deadly shrapnel against the Zionists."

She continued: "I always wanted to be the first woman to carry out a martyrdom operation, where parts of my body can fly all over ... God has given me two children. I love them [with] a kind of love that only God knows, but my love to meet God is stronger still."

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Brandishing a deadly weapon?
Nope

“brandishing” or “improper exhibition” or “defensive display” or “unlawful display” (or whatever your state and jurisdiction calls it) depends specifically on your state and jurisdiction. Very generally, however, for an operating definition “brandishing” means to display, show, wave, or exhibit the firearm in a manner which another person might find threatening. You can see how widely and differently this can be subjectively interpreted by different “reasonable” individuals and entities. The crime can actually be committed in some states by not even pointing a firearm at someone. In some states it’s a Misdemeanor crime and in others a Felony.

----------

Not sure about the text in the Tweet. But, this is from getty Images.

Her videotaped message (from Wikipedia)
Sounds peaceful enough...

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I see no difference. They are both holding one of the most dangerous objects in all of human history.

Religious texts.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I was staring straight at her for the longest time and never even noticed she was holding a firearm or bible. Weird.
Well lets look beyond that.

Compare and contrast.

Reem Riyashi:

• Muslim
  • Suicide bomber
  • Abandoned her two children
  • Killed two Israeli soldiers a policeman and a civilian security worker.
  • Injured Seven other Israelis and four Palestinians.

Holly Fisher:
  1. No a muslim
  2. Not a suicide bomber
  3. Loving mom to her kids
  4. Killed no one
  5. Injured no one
  6. Trolls liberals on twitter for fun
Sound about right?

Holly's version of fun...

Reem's version of fun...

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Brandishing a deadly weapon?

And, I have to ask, why didn't you write "what's violent about either woman?" Are you implying lefthand woman isn't violent, but righthand woman is?
deadly to who?

I figured that a woman being able to defend herself would be deemed "violent" to you, so I did not bother with asking about it or mentioning it in the post.

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
As much as I hate these people who feel the need to brandish weapons as if they are constantly under attack while holding a book about a man who practiced peace and tolerance above all else, these two pictures are not alike.

I despise both types of people in these pictures but the woman on the left is just "trolling." I don't think she would kill innocent people. Woman on the right has done some bad things so the comparison can't be made. Has nothing to do with religion.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What is illustrative about these two pictures is that if the "right" icons are used, our forum gun worshipers are very sympatico with the symbolism of such imagery. Apparently some of us are not that much different than Middle East fanatics when it comes to our religion and preferred weaponry to carry out God's will. ;)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Apparently some of us are not that much different than Middle East fanatics when it comes to our religion and preferred weaponry to carry out God's will. ;)
Has there been a glut of people suicide bombing and shooting up places in the name of ridding the world of infidels? How many of these people would pose with a Bible and American flag?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well lets look beyond that.

Compare and contrast.

Reem Riyashi:

• Muslim
  • Suicide bomber
  • Abandoned her two children
  • Killed two Israeli soldiers a policeman and a civilian security worker.
  • Injured Seven other Israelis and four Palestinians.

Holly Fisher:
  1. No a muslim
  2. Not a suicide bomber
  3. Loving mom to her kids
  4. Killed no one
  5. Injured no one
  6. Trolls liberals on twitter for fun
Sound about right?

Holly's version of fun...

Reem's version of fun...
For the record, are those all recorded facts or are you just speculating?