Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I'm a photographer and currently I use a powerbook 550mhz g4 powerbook. I realize there are multiple threads about this here but I have kind of a specific situation. I currently use my laptop as a desktop plugged into a 21" monitor as my desktop computer. My primary need for a faster computer would be to process raw photos and work in Photoshop. Is there a significant difference between the 1.2 ibook and 1.33 powerbook? Is there a big difference in the graphic cards? The only dissapointing item missing from these computers is firewire 800 are there any options that set the two lines apart? I would be looking at either of the two ibooks and the 12" powerbook. When I purchase one of these computers is it cheaper to buy memory after or when I purchase?

Thanks

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
stuuke said:
I'm a photographer and currently I use a powerbook 550mhz g4 powerbook. I realize there are multiple threads about this here but I have kind of a specific situation. I currently use my laptop as a desktop plugged into a 21" monitor as my desktop computer. My primary need for a faster computer would be to process raw photos and work in Photoshop. Is there a significant difference between the 1.2 ibook and 1.33 powerbook? Is there a big difference in the graphic cards? The only dissapointing item missing from these computers is firewire 800 are there any options that set the two lines apart? I would be looking at either of the two ibooks and the 12" powerbook. When I purchase one of these computers is it cheaper to buy memory after or when I purchase?

Thanks

Buy memory somewhere else, it's way cheaper... does it have to be 12"? Cause there's FW800 on the 15"...

stuuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
It could be a 15" but they are significantly more expensive (about $500). I would like a firewire 800 port but just don't think it is worth it when that is the only benefit of the 15". I would probably buy a dvd burner and memory separately.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
stuuke said:
It could be a 15" but they are significantly more expensive (about $500). I would like a firewire 800 port but just don't think it is worth it when that is the only benefit of the 15". I would probably buy a dvd burner and memory separately.
Well, if it's gonna be 12", go for the PB. You will notice the superior architecture when you're doing a lot of Photoshop.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
stuuke said:

certainly not the only benefit for transfering files... you also have gigabit ethernet on the 15"...

the new iBooks today have really come to age.. and there isn't much more "superior architechture"

the iBook has less video ram, but that is really only going to effect gaming. it did receive twice the L2 cache, and is up to the powerbook's ATA-100 spec now. if you have no need to play the most high end video games, use bluetooth peripherals, or use the audio input of the powerbook - then the 14" iBook is the better buy.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
adamjay said:
the new iBooks today have really come to age.. and there isn't much more "superior architechture"
Well, I doubt that, but time (or expert reviews) will tell...
(my #1 reason for the PB is: they look cooler ;) )

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
I like the looks of both, but the Powerbook just screams designer cool. It can do dressed down casual, and upmarket business ;)

The iBook too is really hot - I absolute love the white. BUT, the body gets dirty much more easily, under the palm rest and on the trackpad. We're all careful, but we can't wash our hands before EVERY use :)

I'm glad the Powerbook appearance hasn't changed between updates - it's one less thing to distinguish them by :)

andy

stuuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Besides looks is there a significant performance difference?

gravityplan

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2004
adamjay said:

I thought that too until I noticed that they quietly bumped the speed of the memory on the 12"pb to 333. I don't know how much difference that makes compared to 266 tho'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.