Compared a friend's 3G internet speed to my 1st Gen - mine was faster?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bushbaby, Nov 5, 2008.

1. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

This was just a casual test at the mall, but my friend and I each tried to get on google and then google the same term. My first gen using Edge got there before her 3G (set for 3G) did. I'm not sure why. I was expecting to see super speed that would convince me I needed to get the newer iPhone.

(I love mine, btw)

(I ran a search on this before posting)

2. daisuke07 macrumors regular

I guess there were more people on 3g than edge

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

1) The above is far from correct.

2) Google is a terrible site to test the speed. It's going to load almost the same regardless. You should of used a site like macrumors.com, digg.com, nfl.com, etc.

3) She could of had a weak 3G signal.

4. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Yeah, such a small and optimized site like Google will load in seconds regardless, but I'm pretty sure yours was faster due to the better latency EDGE has. I have noticed sometimes it takes 3G 5+ seconds longer to START downloading a web page

5. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

one of my co-workers said the same thing about his first gen and his brothers 3G.

6. millerj123 macrumors 65816

For web pages, this may be true. A co-worker and I tried the same thing but with youTube videos. His had downloaded and started playing on 3G long before my 1st gen even showed that it was downloading on Edge. Almost made me cry.

7. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

From my personal experience, even decent 3g reception blows the pants off of edge with excellent reception. I second the suggestion to try the test again, except with a more complex website such as digg.com or ign.com

8. DigMe macrumors 6502

Yup. The test was flawed to begin with.

9. bushbaby thread starter macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Just wanted to say thanks all. Next time we'll try the suggested sites to compare.