Comparing battery life and heat '09 to '10 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, May 19, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

A truly non scientific test ...

The '09 15" MBP C2D 2.8ghz, 512vram comparing to April/10 15" MBP i7, 512vram both have 4gb ram and 256ssd.

The '09 allows the user to choose the graphic card setting but you have to log out first ...

The new '10 MBP has 'auto switching' and decides what to do for you, (until Apple releases a fix, which many feel they won't do).

In our experience the '09 MBP runs cool, noticeably cooler on your lap for example in integrated mode .... But when you switch to the discrete card then you can feel it's quite a lot warmer.

Battery Meter - On full battery, switching from discrete to integrated mode adds 1 hour 41 minutes.

With the new 2010 models choosing to run in discrete mode, even when seemingly unnecessary it makes the machine feel much warmer on the bottom almost uncomfortable. That was noticed in the '09 MBP too when only when running in discrete mode, but when running in integrated it runs very cool.

Battery life is about the same on both machines, Apple advertises it increased over the '09 models, in our real world experience not the case.

This first step into Intel Graphics and these being first version machines unless you really need to upgrade now I wouldn't ... If you have an '09 or an '08 MBP chances are it's doing it work just fine and you'll notice minimal improvements and perhaps take a step backward going from Nvidia graphics to this new Intel idea .... it's not perfected yet.

Therefore unless you need/want to run in discrete mode often I'd wait until the next revision/update or at least until the graphics switching concerns are addressed by Apple.

2. aneks macrumors regular

.............or just download the free utility which allows you to manually control switching, and enjoy the better screen and all the other new features now.

3. BenXiaoHai macrumors member

my machine's running at about 60 degrees average. Is that normal? I've got adium, itunes, firefox, thunderbird, and vuze running.

And when I start gaming on steam or starcraft 2, it just gets so much warmer as the fans start to go up to 6000rpm to cool it down. Just wondering if it will be detrimental to run the system for hours at 60-70 degrees with the fan trying to cool it

4. lewdvig macrumors 65816

No numbers? No useful information then.

There things called watches and thermometers that allow you to measure these phenomena you speak of.

5. nconnella macrumors regular

I am so fed up with the battery BS of my 2010. On a full charge on idle with NOTHING open I can't get more than 5:30, on low brightness, no bluetooth. Apples replaced the battery but it doesn't fix it. Back to the store tomorrow to have hardware checked. I hope I don't have to ship it out though. I should at LEAST be able to get close to advertised time on a low brightness with nothing open but light web browsing...