Compatibility question: Pages and iCloud on iOS 8 and OS X 10.8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Loa, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Right now I'm using Pages on iOS6 and Pages '09 (4.3) on Mac OS X 10.8. I have no intention of upgrading either Pages on my Mac, or OS X. On the other hand, I'm thinking about upgrading iOS to 8.

If I do upgrade to iOS 8, and don't upgrade iCloud to iCloud Drive, will I be able to use iCloud to sync my iOS device and Mac?

Thanks

Loa

2. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Yes, you should be able to sync between 10.8 and iOS 8 as long as you DO NOT upgrade to iCloud Drive.

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on doing a back-up of my iPad before upgrading to iOS 8. Could I use that back-up to revert to ios 6 if things don't work out?

Loa

4. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

No, once you upgrade your iOS version there's no going back

5. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

This. iOS 6 has not been signed in a couple of years. If you are uncertain before making the jump, find an iPad model of yours at a store, or if you know someone that uses your same iPad with iOS 8 and try it first.

6. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Thanks for the info guys. I'll think about it. My iPad 3 is getting old, not sure how it handles iOS 8.

Sad thing is, the more time passes, the more I regret not spending more to get a macbook air instead of my iPad... We have so much more control (at least for the time being) on Mac OS X.

Loa

7. notrack macrumors 6502

I run Mavericks and an iPad 2 with iOS8.

Afaik Pages '09 (all three apps) are not compatible with Pages on iOS 8. You will be able to open the "old" file format but once saved, you can't edit them any more with iWork '09.

There is even incompatiblitly with the "newer" file format of Pages 5.2 and the current version Pages 5.5. That's why they jumped from X.2 directly to X.5 in all three apps. (The current version lets third party cloud services recognise iWork documents as actual documents instead of folders as previously.)

So you will see your documents in iCloud but you can only edit them on either '09 or the current version.

8. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Thanks for the info! That's a deal breaker for me! Once Pages forgot how to count words, I stopped upgrading. I actually need that feature, and even if I didn't, I think I would have stopped upgrading just on principle. Never even thought of it as a feature until that update... Seems to me just a very very basic thing for a word processor. Maybe the next version of Pages will just not write the letter 'f'? Who knows?

Unless that has been fixed, it looks like I'll stick to iOS 6 as long as I possibly can.

Thanks.

Loa