Complete lack of new premium tv/movie apps for tvOS

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by munchello, Nov 5, 2015.

1. munchello macrumors newbie

munchello

No Max Go, no Starz Play, no Encore Play, no Movieplex Play, no EPIX. Just HBO Go/Now and Showtime/Anytime...just like the 3rd gen. Apple TV. What a rip-off. You'd think Apple could get deals in place with the companies that already provide iOS apps that work with a cable subscription. Ridiculous. So, what, now I have to Airplay content from these missing apps from my iPhone or iPad? Again, ridiculous.

2. vc2020 macrumors regular

The whole point of the new Apple TV is that they don't need deals in place. It's up to those networks to develop and submit their app. Contact them.

3. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

The App store has been out for a week, how about a little patience

4. munchello thread starter macrumors newbie

munchello

Spoken like a true fanboy. Apple could have nudged the networks THAT ALREADY HAVE CABLE SUBSCRIPTION DEPENDENT APPS FOR iOS to tweak them for tvOS, but no, they have to introduce the "new" Apple TV with nothing pre-installed, no iTunes iOS/tvOS sync capabilities, and a crappy search function so that it takes you, like, half an hour to discover that there are no new premium TV/movie network apps. Then fanboys like you point out that it's the networks' problem, not shiny "it just works" (but not anymore) Apple's problem.

5. munchello thread starter macrumors newbie

munchello

If I had known in advance that the tvOS app store would be filled with a) useless crap b) the same apps I already have on my 3rd gen. Apple TV, and c) a bunch of stupid time-suck games, I would have exercised my patience by NOT SPENDING MY MONEY YET on the "new" Apple TV.

6. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I completely agree. These are your basic streaming paid services and completely dumbfounded as to where they are. Not acceptable! And vudu would be nice also!

7. aduteau macrumors 6502a

It didn't take a genius to predict that the first full week of AppleTV apps was going to be less then impressive ... This is going to take time !! Lots of time !! Devs need to redo all their apps to take advantage of the TV screen instead of just porting app ... Again its going to take a while until we see AAA apps

8. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

No you really don't. You can import your app over with very little work at all. It took me less than an hour to convert it over. It's 90 percent a iOS app. So honestly there is no excuse!

9. vc2020 macrumors regular

It's still not up to Apple to partner up with networks to bring apps to the App Store. Would it have been a less underwhelming experience if they did? Sure, but studios have had plenty of time to get to work and port over apps to tvOS and for most of them it either isn't a priority or they're working on ways to bring different subscription models before they launch.

Did I say it just works? It's riddled with problems, crashes more often than it should and was another botched launch that still feels like a beta product.

Also, if you want apps the require cable subscriptions you might as well just watch them on your cable box.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

So as a developer, you're making the statement that all iOS apps can be ported over to tvOS as quality apps with minimal effort from the developer?

Lucky for you, you're still within the product return window and can get your money back. Probably a good idea. You sound like you've let this product get you pretty upset.

11. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Pretty much yes. Very little difference in programming. Big companies who have dedicated teams to do this like HBO, Netflix etc could do it in 8 hours.

12. dra macrumors member

dra

13. munchello thread starter macrumors newbie

munchello

That's a load of crap. It DOES take a dolt not to see the obvious: the apps I'm fuming about are ALREADY written for HD streaming from iOS devices to large-screen TV's. They just need a minimum recode to port them to tvOS. This rush to market without significant content is why nobody is buying 4K TV's. Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave...

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Developers have been slow to release apps for the app store every single time Apple has extended it. From the original iPhone store, to the iPad, the Mac App store, to the Apple Watch, to tvOS today. It's always the same. Frankly they are right to wait. It's not always clear exactly how successful the platform is going to be or exactly what the users are going to expect.

15. munchello thread starter macrumors newbie

munchello

Except that on the cable box, the content is shown in 1080i and the audio stream is just not as clean. I get what you're saying, but the 1080i vs 1080p issue is why some cable subscribers are switching to satellite services. You'd think the cable operators would get that and also lobby the premium networks to get up to speed with tvOS.

16. munchello thread starter macrumors newbie

munchello

Wait for what? I'll tell you what: they're waiting for vocal consumers like me to tell them what we want. We want MORE and BETTER content than we had on the previous generation platform. The new hardware costs significantly more than the old. We should get what we paid for from the jump.

17. vc2020 macrumors regular

Which is exactly why you should contact the networks you want to see in the App store. I did for Channel 4, probably will for SyFy and Adult Swim too.

I wish the people rushing to the new app stores weren't always sh*tty novelty apps but instead updated versions of apps we already love. I was stoked on Air Video HD being available on day one. Most of the Watch apps I really wanted didn't show up until later and some of them still aren't supported.

18. natedagreat142 macrumors newbie

natedagreat142

There's no webkit that easily could be the reason perhaps?

19. natedagreat142 macrumors newbie

natedagreat142

And I'm not surprised, When I got my iPhone 6 90% of the apps still had to upscale the iPhone 5's resolution, even after 4 weeks into the launch. The dev's are lazy bastards. There is also the fact that if the tv networks had it their way, there would be a separate app for every channel with a separate $7 a month subscriptions and I don't think that's exactly what apple had in mind.

20. Kurri macrumors 6502

so return it. apple has a good return policy. then you can relax and not stress over the money you spent

21. munchello thread starter macrumors newbie

munchello

You folks act like no one has a right to complain. If nobody says anything, the lazy-ass web teams at these cable networks will assume everything is fine and they don't stand to lose customers with their unacceptable lack of effort to provide apps for a new platform. the first thing I did was write e-mails to the contact addresses of these premium networks. It's been proven that shaming these folks on social media and in forums such as this one are effective in getting them to re-prioritize. The HD streaming apps already exist for iOS. Porting them to tvOS takes a matter of hours, not days. Stop being Apple fanboys and fangirls for a second and be activist consumers.

22. 2010mini macrumors 68040

First off....Apple has no power when it comes to the TV/Movie industry. NONE.
    The negotiations for getting those apps on any streaming Box is time consuming. Those studios and networks have to negotiate for every market those streaming boxes will be sold in. It is easier to have those apps on mobile device than on anything that attaches to a TV. Stupid, I know.... But it seems the cable industry will fight tooth and nail to keep their boxes on the "main" TV input.

23. munchello thread starter macrumors newbie

munchello

The premium network apps for iOS are CABLE SUBSCRIPTION DEPENDENT (except for HBO Now and SHOWTIME). HBO Go and Showtime Anytime are cable subscription dependent. It's cheaper for consumers to buy bundles of premium apps through the cable companies than to subscribe individually to the non-subscription dependent premium services. The networks and cable companies lose NOTHING by porting these apps to tvOS. In fact, the cable companies retain subscribers. Currently, cable companies offer 1080i/720p resolution max. By leaning on the premium networks to port these apps to tvOS, they get a free work-around for 1080p resolution on all the premium cable content. That means that they don't lose subscribers to DirecTV and Dish. The premium cable apps for iOS require minimum coding to port them to tvOS. Max Go's developer team could have 1 guy write the code in a couple of hours. I just don't understand why so many fellow consumers are apologists for this laziness.

24. Kurri macrumors 6502

umm i think returning it is being an active consumer. more so than paying for an item, hating it and just complaining. they have your money you do realize that right? for something you don't like and complaining about, they won

25. 2010mini macrumors 68040

No one is apologizing for this. The reality is, the industry is very complicated when it come to TV. Did you know networks don't own all the affiliates? That the affiliates have the power to negotiate with their local/regional Pay TV companies? And the way people consume content is changing so fast, it is giving them all a hard time figuring out exactly who "owns" the rights to negotiate content.

I will say again: content on your mobile device is easier to negotiate than on your TV. completely ridiculous but it is how it is.