Complete noob. 3.1.2 ipod touch 8gb 3g *should I upgrade to 3.1.3?*

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Kafluke, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Kafluke macrumors member

I just won this thing in one of those stacker arcade games. (only cost me a buck. 1st try).

So I've jailbroken it using blaikrain but sometimes after making a system change and rebooting it makes me run it again. Anyway, itunes keeps telling me to upgrade the ipod. I've read that I shouldn't in places and others tell me to. I trust you guys as you have the most updated posts out of all the forums I've looked through. I have searched through the posts to try and find my answers before you flame me for not doing so.

1. Should I upgrade?
    2. Can I jailbreak afterward and in a more permanent fashion?
    3. What is this iO4 that I've seen posts about?
    4. Since I have to tether to jailbreak every, will upgrading make it so I won't have to anymore?
    5. Can I sync this thing wirelessly?
    6. Can I somehow wireless tether using my blackberry to get wifi on the road?

Many thanks to all those that help!

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

Nice snag! It's not often that you get big prizes like that on the first try... wish I had your luck.

Anyways, to answer your questions:
    1. Sure, why not? Most apps require you to be running 3.1.3 for them to work. There's little difference between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 when it comes to the iPod touch.
    2. Yup, just use Spirit. There's a Mac version available, it's pretty straight-forward.
    3. iO4 = iPhone OS 4.0. The next big update. Free for all users. Comes out tomorrow. Pretty big change overall.
    4. Yes
    5. Sync what wirelessly? Mail? Music? Apps? You can check your email wirelessly, but music, photos, videos, apps, etc. will have to be synced via your computer. Although you can download apps via the App store, which is kind of like syncing.
    6. No clue. You'd probably have to ask around on a Blackberry forum, or hope that somebody here knows something about Blackberries. Most cellular providers frown upon tethering nowadays anyways.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any clarification.

3. Kafluke thread starter macrumors member

Holy crap! You guys and the simpleness of this device and the slickness of the interface almost make me want to go buy a mac and switch from 15+ years on the PC...almost.

You have been extremely helpful and right to the point. Thanks again!

4. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

If your Blackberry is one that supports creating a Wifi network (hotspot) then its simple to connect your iPod touch to that network.

If you need to tether via bluetooth, I've not yet tried it but their is an application/bluetooth stack that supports routing the networking for your iPod touch via bluetooth. This requires you jailbreak the iPod touch (if your serial number starts with "MC" you may be limited in the options for jailbreak).

The software needs to be installed via Cydia (an app that loads software from web repositories). The item you'll need is called Bluever and there is a free demo version to try, otherwise the full usable version has a $9.99 cost associated with using it.

Overall you should be able to do this, although the bluetooth option is definitely going to require more effort. BTW, your model likely supports the newly released iOS 4.0.