Complete Noob wanting to learn how to produce music like Deadmaus/Glitch Mob

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Heterosethual, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Heterosethual macrumors newbie

And first I would need to know what program I could use to accomplish this.

Would Logic Pro X be suitable to learn for a complete beginner to Mac?

I have used FL Studio and Sony Acid before to make some basic stuff.

I know what plugins and VSTs I would want to use as well, but I am open to try anything!

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Start with Garage Band. You already have it and can get started right now without spending another dime. Then when you have a good reason upgrade to Logic. Logic is a lot like Garage Band so your learning will mostly cary over and Logic can open GB projects so you don't loose any work. GB will serve you well at first.

But FIRST what do you know about MUSIC? I assume you already have some skills as a musician and performer. Do you have a keyboard and microphones? What other equipment do you have? What kind of musci background.

But Garage Band is the place to start. It will take some time before you outgrow it. Then Logic is the next step.

You need to learn how to use the software? Don't waste your time watching youtube. For $25 a month you can buy subscription to either lynda.com or macprovideo.com and both have hours long video classes that are very well produced. Spend 1/2 hour a night watchig with of these.

3. Heterosethual thread starter macrumors newbie

Is Garageband just barebones with no plugin or VST support? I have never used it on an actual Mac but I used it on my iPad a little.

For equipment I use the basics, I jailbreak my ipad mini retina and use homeband to use garageband as a Midi keyboard with surpring results.

I think learning to use the software is great but I need to learn more about actual keyboard playing, like chords and whatnot to make awesome synths in my music. Where could I find stuff for that?

But thank you, I will start with Garageband for sure!

4. Heterosethual thread starter macrumors newbie

Any one have a good tutorial on playing the piano? Sort of like Piano for Dummies but one that doesn't rely on a physical keyboard.

5. wesk702, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Glitch style is more automation, programming, and some specialized plugin suites. Ableton would be a great start. Logic is great for automation as well.
    Acid is extremely powerful too under the hood. Really get to know your gear.

6. Heterosethual thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm yeah I would love automation and cross fading.

Garageband is a good start right? I purchased the 5$ lessons but they won't download at all so I am a little stuck.

7. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

To be honest, garageband is a bit limiting for what you want to do at that level.
    When I got logic, I just buried myself in the program for a few months. It's daunting at first but logic is crazy powerful. If you want to chop and manipulate samples quickly as well, nothing beats ableton. If you got the extra cash, go for Logic and Ableton. You can always try before you buy also through alternative routes, but definitely support the developers if you end up sticking to one and plan on producing music.

Another cool thing is the Ableton 9.1.6 will have retina support on its upcoming release. And Ableton push has got to be the most useful controller in the world.

8. Heterosethual thread starter macrumors newbie

Jesus this sounds a little over my head. I remember looking at Ableton and having no clue what the hell was going on.

I started out using sound loops with Sony Acid 6. Then I tried a little bit of FL Studio and now I am on a Macbook Pro so I am wondering where to go now haha.

9. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Ableton is like, acid. Just give it a go. It's pretty easy to pick up.

10. Heterosethual thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thank you I will take a step and try it out.

11. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

This may sound a little crazy, but have you ever tried something like Dance eJay? I started on that back in 2000, really helped me learn the basics.

12. Heterosethual thread starter macrumors newbie

Never tried it but won't hurt to give it a shot.