completing unlock request

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cody21, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I just got an email from AT&T saying they approved my unlock request for my 4S with the steps to do the unlock. It says that I need to have a SIM inserted (I took the SIM out of the 4S), and I have a quick question. I have an iPhone 5 now, and if I re-insert the SIM and activate the phone, will the 4S be re-activated on my wireless account?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's for only as long as you have the sim in there.

3. dndandrea macrumors 6502

I was able to get mine unlocked over the phone with a representative and mine did not have a sim card in it. I didn't get any verification after finishing the process but i checked out a site that shows if your phone is locked or unlocked and it showed unlock. The buyer who bought mine phone confirmed that after he put it on a different carrier as well.

4. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

You need to put a foreign sim card in there to complete the unlock. ie, a tmobile sim.

I was able to get a tmobile micro sim by going to a tmobile store, and explaining the situation to the employee.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No, you don't. I had my at&t sim in when I completed the unlock in itunes. It may be why I didn't get the unlock message. When I put in a t-mobile sim in later that week, it accepted it with no problem.

6. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

You're not going to see the the screen in itunes unless you have a foreign sim in there.

Either way, i followed the instructions on apples site. And that tells you to insert a foreign sim. So thats what i did.