Computer takes ~20-60 seconds to shut down and log out, but takes ~6-11 seconds to s

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Intelligent, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Computer takes ~20-60 seconds to shut down and log out, but takes ~6-11 seconds to start. I have tried some of the solutions here but none have worked.

2. simsaladimbamba

Which solutions here did you try, thus we do not recommend already tried ones?

And what Mac OS X version do you use?

Btw, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has that bug, where it takes quite a while to shut down. Mine takes also up to a minute to shut down, but I do not care, since I brush my teeth then.

As for your need to shut down, is it because you want to restart and boot into Windows?

3. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Nope i dont need windows nor do i have a license for it, I'm using OS X 10.9. The reason i need to shut down is because sometimes i have trackpad problems that can only be solved by resetting NVRAM, and i also sometimes make changes that require shut downs. And its not only shutting down but Logging out (as it says in the title).

4. simsaladimbamba

Aha, and I included logging out with shutting down.

And again, what steps did you already try?

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Sounds to me like you have a process running that is taking a while to be killed.

6. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Simple things like, resetting SMC and uninstalled programs that could cause errors, update to latest OS X.

Yep, thats what I'm guessing too, could it be
    Code:
    com.apple.IconServicesAgent
    ?

It constantly spits out errors in the console.