Computer terms 'confuse workers'

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Three quarters of workers waste more than an hour a week deciphering what a technical term means, the poll found.
Here's a hint: put up giant posters showing them how to use Google and Wikipedia.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Just under two thirds had sent e-mails with large attachments which had blocked clients' systems.
Arrgh. Have had this happen often to me esp. dealing in graphics.

A couple of years ago someone emailed me a 40mb attachment after I told them not to because I was still on dial-up...

I would say the majority of people in an average UK office don't have a clue what they're doing half of the time. No wonder IT managers ruthlessly lock everything down...

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
We often have some issues at work relating to customers not understanding jpeg file sizes from the web for print and what file format they need to send us via email or that they need to send us .eps or .tiff files. Most have enough issues with just understanding how to use Acrobat for viewing pdf files. Just because you don't directly involve yourself with technology doesn't mean to say that your job won't have involvement with technology that you need to understand to be better at what you do.
A lot of people out there probably think you need to be a "tech geek" to understand half the file formats out there and since they arent "tech geeks" they have no interest in learning them.
That must make me a major "tech geek" since I can probably elaborate on jpeg, mpeg, aac, psd, pdf, tiff, eps, wma, wav, wmv, mp3, Mb, MB, Gb and a whole bunch more...... :rolleyes: :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
winmacguy said:
We often have some issues at work relating to customers not understanding jpeg file sizes from the web for print...
Haha. If I had a £1 for every time somebody sent me a logo that they'd 'got from a website', I'd be a really rich bitch.

And you tell them, time and time again... yet it goes in one ear and out the other. Somehow they see it as your problem.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Blue Velvet said:
Arrgh. Have had this happen often to me esp. dealing in graphics.

A couple of years ago someone emailed me a 40mb attachment after I told them not to because I was still on dial-up...

I would say the majority of people in an average UK office don't have a clue what they're doing half of the time. No wonder IT managers ruthlessly lock everything down...
For the record Blue Velvet, it is a 40MB file - Mega Byte as in file size which is what I assume your meaning :) (File size is measured in Bytes -where 8 bits of data = 1 Byte.) For transfer speeds which are measured in bits per second and shown as M in caps and b in lower case for "bits" per second eg 100Mb Ethernet.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
PlaceofDis said:
i know none of my coworkers can grasp computers.... sad thing.
Perhaps they just need to clean the oil off their hands - then it'd be easier to hold onto them.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
winmacguy said:
For the record Blue Velvet, it is a 40MB file - Mega Byte as in file size which is what I assume your meaning :) (File size is measured in Bytes -where 8 bits of data = 1 Byte.) For transfer speeds which are measured in bits per second and shown as M in caps and b in lower case for "bits" per second eg 100Mb Ethernet.

Now there's helpful... and then there's bloody pedantic! :D

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Blue Velvet said:
Haha. If I had a £1 for every time somebody sent me a logo that they'd 'got from a website', I'd be a really rich bitch.

And you tell them, time and time again... yet it goes in one ear and out the other. Somehow they see it as your problem.
Of course it is OUR ;) problem, we are the professionals who KNOW :rolleyes: all these things.

Just remember when you touch the file and adjust it it becomes your problem :rolleyes:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Is it wrong that I am applauded at school for knowing how to start the DVD playing app on the PeeCee...? :confused: :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I don't think it's alway "computer terms."

Especially since an exit sign and "written instructions" can confuse today's workers.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Blue Velvet said:
Now there's helpful... and then there's bloody pedantic! :D
When it comes to Tech terms and CORRECT :rolleyes: representation of formats and acronyms, yes that would be me. :D I spend most of my day making and checking changes for a well known national press publication and can't afford to have stuff incorrectly printed otherwise it costs BIG BUCKS $$$$$ :eek:
I also spend tooo much of my spare time reading and following alsorts of IT stuff online. :p

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
winmacguy said:
remember when you touch the file and adjust it it becomes your problem :rolleyes:
I've become extremely adept at returning a boilerplate email saying why I will not use this file and what I need. I was once told that I was 'picky'. :rolleyes:

Yeah, right. So when your publication comes back from press with jaggies all through the images you're not going to be 'picky'?

Clients. Love 'em...

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
ham_man said:
Is it wrong that I am applauded at school for knowing how to start the DVD playing app on the PeeCee...? :confused: :rolleyes:
Not wrong but you'd probably be considered more of a geek than the rest of them :p

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Sun Baked said:
I don't think it's alway "computer terms."

Especially since an exit sign and "written instructions" can confuse today's workers.
Agreed at work we need to learn words like code orange (fire in store, but do not evacuate) and code red (evacuate customers from store). Then we need to remember fire exits, meeting places and etc.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Blue Velvet said:
I've become extremely adept at returning a boilerplate email saying why I will not use this file and what I need. I was once told that I was 'picky'. :rolleyes:

Yeah, right. So when your publication comes back from press with jaggies all through the images you're not going to be 'picky'?

Clients. Love 'em...
LOL :D , one of the guys at work does just that for one of our large clients who use our web based service for producing a lot of their work which goes to press weekly, being that they have a high staff turnover and are not interested in being "tech minded"

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I scoff at people who don't know common computer terms. Everybody should obviously know these words. How could they be so dumb? Ho ho ho. What losers.

Then a financial analyst or a car mechanic or a chemist starts speaking in their lingo. Huh? What are they talking about? I scoff at them for using silly words that none of us regular people could possibly understand. They speak in code to make people think they are important, but they don't fool me for a minute. How could they be so dumb? Ho ho ho. What losers.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Reminds me of the other day in our Mac computer lab at my highschool.
We were typing papers, and Word crashes for the teacher, she is kinda old, I show her "force-quit" she doesn't get it at all. I did the same for 2 kids also, they said, "Man, I was pressing ctrl-opt-delete, but nothing was happening!"

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Doctor Q said:
I scoff at people who don't know common computer terms. Everybody should obviously know these words. How could they be so dumb? Ho ho ho. What losers.

Then a financial analyst or a car mechanic or a chemist starts speaking in their lingo. Huh? What are they talking about? I scoff at them for using silly words that none of us regular people could possibly understand. They speak in code to make people think they are important, but they don't fool me for a minute. How could they be so dumb? Ho ho ho. What losers.

Yes, maybe we are being condescending but we're just letting off a little steam... I don't have to know what a chemist does in order to do my job properly. But if I have to deal with another professional, I try and make damned sure I have at least a grasp of some of the terminology and processes involved — it's professional courtesy and it's the least I can do. Same as going to the doctor...

Most office workers have a PC in front of them and yet, many do not have the gumption to find out exactly what it is they're doing with it.

Furthermore, speaking on behalf of our organisation, HR are pretty lax about checking people's claims about their computer skills. I've had to deal with people who were on salaries far higher than mine, whose job it was to put together PR material who didn't even know how to place an image in Word. This kind of nonsense really gets up my nose...

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Blue Velvet said:
Most office workers have a PC in front of them and yet, many do not have the gumption to find out exactly what it is they're doing with it.

Furthermore, speaking on behalf of our organisation, HR are pretty lax about checking people's claims about their computer skills. I've had to deal with people who were on salaries far higher than mine, whose job it was to put together PR material who didn't even know how to place an image in Word. This kind of nonsense really gets up my nose...
Judging by a lot of the people in our agency who use Windows and who deal with our clients, if something done on a "Mac" doesn't work on a "PC" then it is a "Mac" problem (5% of the computer platform vs 95% argument) rather than the actual problem which might be more like MS PC font incompatiblities vs Adobe on a Mac industry standard fonts. We also love getting work from "designers" using MS Publisher to be transfered to InDesign who are struggling to understand what a PDF is :rolleyes: :mad:

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Vader said:
Reminds me of the other day in our Mac computer lab at my highschool.
We were typing papers, and Word crashes for the teacher, she is kinda old, I show her "force-quit" she doesn't get it at all. I did the same for 2 kids also, they said, "Man, I was pressing ctrl-opt-delete, but nothing was happening!"
That Windoze virus again :rolleyes:

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I still stand by my idea of a mandatory and I do mean MANDITORY computer "boot camp", before you can purchase or even operate ANY computer you have to take a 2 or 3 week or more course on using a computer and computer terminology, after you graduate you get basically a card much like a drivers license that allows you to buy and use a computer system. Now I'm not saying there'd be computer police necessarily and what not but any time you go to the store they'd ask you for this card.

I think a sort of boot camp would be nice for people because I've dealt with some of the most illiterate people I feel in the world when it comes to computers and if you even mention computer jargon people either:

a. Give you a blank stare.
b. Smile and Nod like they understand.
c. Ask you to explain it in plain English.

It’s extremely annoying for me to either explain something a second time, go in depth and show the person what to do, or have them screw up something and send me a small “web” version of a photo when I need a print ready one for example.

*sighs*