Comscore (March)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobenhaus, May 1, 2012.

1. bobenhaus thread starter macrumors 6502a

People want choice and not locked down. Android is spreading like wildfire because of it being open-source and choice. Apple make good prodcuts but like to have a concreate garden for all their products and customers.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think the average consumer knows or cares whether android is open source or that iOS is locked down. I know many people who chose android because they liked the phone and what it had to offer.

Others picked android precisely because it was not from apple, not because apple is locked down but rather a dislike for apple.

RIM needs to turn things around, but until their latest OS and phones hit the market nothing is going to change, they'll be shedding users left and right.

What we need to watch is how MS will fare with WP7, so far nothing really has changed and Nokia has a few WP7 phones out now.

3. bobenhaus thread starter macrumors 6502a

We need to have at least 4 major players in the mobile market so not one company can dominate. Our choices will be gone if not that way.

4. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Seeing RIM drop from more than 1/4 to less than 1/8 of the market is like ecstasy for my eyes. After their current line of devices has had such epic failure rates (at least in my experience) I would love few things more than to watch that number keep falling to zero. I'm fine with 3 competitors, Apple, Microsoft and Google. I'm quite impressed with the new Windows Mobile phones, and the Android OS's only fault for my setup is the inability to sync seamlessly, wirelessly and automatically with my computer....that plus the iOS market gets some of the better apps that I enjoy playing with.

5. bobenhaus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well Android is still maturing as a mobile platform and I'm sure it will get better with intergration of their products. IOS is there but lacks choice for the user. its going to get hard down the road for Apple to compete with the likes of Samsung because they dont really have any different tier devices besides the S3 and S4 that are the same except for newer screens and cpu's. Windows platform is really nice and easy to use but are still missing key apps and navigation just like Apple. Far now Android have the leg up because of the navigation and choice . Well see what happens in the future. Thanks.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why 4?

Shouldn't the market dictate with equilibrium what the appropriate number should be? So far its settling on two, RIM is sinking like a rock and MS is unable to generate any critical mass so far.

I'm all for choice and 4 makers will provide that, but the number 4 is not a magical number to guarantee that we have no dominate player. I think the consumer will decide on the number by voting with their money.