Concealed Carry Could Be Headed for the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 2, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...paign=headline&cmpId=yhoo.headline&yptr=yahoo

Rights should be country wide w/o all the BS restrictions that states like CA/NY/IL put on their citizens.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Simple, come up with a national set of standards/restriction that apply to all 50 states.

3. Carnegie macrumors 6502

I suspect that the reason the Supreme Court hasn't granted cert in some of the recent Second Amendment cases is that some Justices (i.e. Chief Justice Roberts and, possibly, Justice Alito) aren't sure they'd have Justice Kennedy's vote on the merits. The four Justices have enough votes to grant cert, but some of them don't want to risk granting cert now and having the Court establish a precedent they disagree with. They may even know, for all intents and purposes, that they don't have Justice Kennedy's vote.

A circuit split would make a cert grant more likely. But I think there's a decent chance the D.C. Circuit will agree to rehear this case en banc. If it does and reverses the decision, there will no longer be a clear circuit split.

4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I've never understood why there aren't national concealed carry standards. If someone has a concealed carry license, that license should be valid for every state.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I agree that the rules should be country wide, but I have a feeling we disagree on exactly what those rules should be... <3

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

hence the reason why something this big will most likely fail :(

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Step one is keep the NRA out of it. Step two is keep all of the anti-2nd amendment liberal gun groups out of it. It should be a common sense set of standards that 80% of the american people agree on.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The NRA is already pushing hard for it and the Bloomberg funded MDA is predicting chaos and doom if it's passed.
    I recall when AZ was voting for constitutional carry, MDA was saying there would be shootouts daily and blood in the streets.
    It passed, and none of that happened. Their propaganda ads never worked for one simple reason... they failed to know their audience.
    AZ is a strong 2A supporting state and has been since forever.
    Open carry has always been legal and when CCW licenses were introduced, they were issued as long as you passed the background check and took the 8 hour course on legal use of force and handgun safety.
    AZ still issues CCW licenses for reciprocity purposes and is valid in 37 states.

California and New Jersey do not honor ANY out of state CCW licenses.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Can you concealed-carry in the Court? That would be interesting.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Good luck on that.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The best thing gun advocates can do is get the NRA out of it. I’m skeptical 50 states can come to a consensus. The fact Louisiana could care less and would hand a CCW to any redneck sister ****ing meth head won’t fly in NY.

13. Zenithal macrumors 601

Has the court agreed to hear the case? My feelings on CCW hard mixed, but I feel it's wrong for the SC to rule on this because it'll have a sweeping effect for pro CCW states if the case backfires. While the NRA lobby is powerful, their power ends at the SC.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's in the Constitution. 2A. I know we'll never all agree on that though. So it should be treated just like drivers licenses.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    In NY all you need to do is pay the right police officer.

15. Carnegie macrumors 6502

The Supreme Court hasn't (yet) been asked to hear the case. D.C., which lost the case before a 3-judge panel, will likely first ask the full D.C. Circuit to rehear the case. I wouldn't be surprised if the full Court agrees to hear the case. If it doesn't, then D.C. may ask the Supreme Court to hear the case.

Even if the Supreme Court ruled the other way, that wouldn't mean that states which want to (or currently do) issue concealed carry permits liberally - e.g., which don't require a showing of some kind of special need in order for someone to get a permit - would no longer be allowed to. The ruling likely wouldn't have much effect in such states. A reversal by the Supreme Court would just mean that states which don't want to wouldn't have to, which is the status quo.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Or become a pharmacist. As a pharmacist evidently I am eligible for a permit in NYC.

Or I could just hand over the OxyContin and avoid the risk of a firefight.

I worked with a pharmacist/cop/police firearms instructor once. His suggestion was if you're getting robbed, just comply and don't risk the health of legal consequences of using a gun. Sounds like smart, logical advice to me.

17. Zenithal macrumors 601

That is a very good suggestion. Your job is already dangerous due to the narcotics RXs keep in their cages. Loose lips often end up with people maimed. Anesthesiologists working in long term pain management are also at a higher risk of being a victim, IIRC.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's tiered defense. CCW is just one of the tiers. For me first tier is to stay away from areas where it's unsafe. Second tier being observant, keeping my eyes moving. Looking people in the eyes while walking acknowledging that I see them. It's amazing how many people are buried in their phones. Third is getting out of the area if things goes south, remember you're actually paying attention.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yes it is, so are the words “well regulated”.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I know one can't carry any firearm into the Capitol building, so Congress is safe... :rolleyes: I wonder, would concealed carry right apply to airline flights? Buses? Trains?

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The Capitol is a different world.

Many states allow for concealed carry on mass transit. With the exception to certain qualified law enforcement (including off-duty), I doubt the Feds will ever allow a citizen to carry on an airliner.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not this tired argument again.

It doesn't have anything to do with government regulations.
    It simply means a militia in good working order. i.e. Well trained.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What militia do you belong to again?

24. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

25. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone