Concerning att unlimted data grandfathered iphone 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by captainc, Sep 14, 2012.

1. captainc macrumors member

I want to place my order now but does anyone know what these two plans are doing there. Shouldn't there only be one? Any help? I need to know. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

AT&T has decided that in order to keep unlimited, you must have 2 data packages now.

Just kidding. Just a hiccup that will likely fix itself.

3. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Just call AT&T tomorrow and make sure it stays the same, I called in before I ordered to make a note on my 2 accounts.

Used the I pad app to order it just said keep your current plan;)

4. captainc thread starter macrumors member

Did you have this problem?

Or anyone else? Should I just purchase it now?

5. Ozy macrumors regular

Ozy

This year mine said unlimited all the way to check out. Last year it messed up but they fixed it easily after on the phone. I wouldn't worry. They can tell if you had it prior and readjust it without any issues.

6. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

I just preordered and also had the two data plans display. Fortunately, they both say "unlimited" so it's pretty clear we were on an unlimited data plan. I received an order confirmation, but AT&T says it may take 24 hours for it to be viewable online; I'll wait until then to call customer service.

7. captainc thread starter macrumors member

Do you have unlimited texting too?

8. bobright macrumors 601

Wait so LTE unlimited is only a 30 dollar plan?

I'm on 3G unlimited hell not sure I even know what I'm talking about anymore...I thought LTE was more expensive hence for faster speed.

9. captainc thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I am able to grandfather the unlimited data so LTE is unlimited. But throttled at a certain point.

10. bobright macrumors 601

Is there anyway for me to take advantage of LTE at the 30 dollar price point? I am grandfathered on normal 3G I guess you would say

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you have a grandfathered 3G plan, it'll automatically upgrade you to the unlimited LTE plan which throttles after 5 GB instead of 3 GB with 3G.

12. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Mine showed the exact same thing. Not to worry as you can always get it fixed when the dust settles. Getting the order through for my 64gb Black/Slate iP5 to be delievered on the 21st is all that matters now, the rest can be fixed.

----------

Yep, AT&T is not jacking up your rate but expects you to stay withing the 5gb as before LTE. Not hard for me as I stay well under 3gb each month. Everything will just be faster on LTE and some will take advantage:(

13. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

I've read that we WON't be able to use FaceTime over LTE with our grandfathered plans...

anyone else have knowledge of the "rules" that are associated with carrying over the plan?

14. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

That is correct re: FaceTime. AT&T has said that only people who buy the tiered / shared data plans will be able to use FaceTime over the cellular network.

15. MetallimaN macrumors newbie

Did any of you have to pick a voice plan? I never had the option and it shows that my monthly bill will be $50($30 for unlimited and $20 for texting).

16. bobright macrumors 601

Are you guys serious, so basically I'll run on 4G LTE all while on the same unlimited rate/plan in which I've always had simply 3G? This is awesome, not sure I fully understand it but I always thought 3G and LTE were separate and in order to have LTE I'd need to let go of my "3G Grandfathered Plan" and pay for a more expensive plan if that makes sense.

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yeah, seems to good to be true, doesn't it? So far the only catch I've noticed is we won't be able to use FaceTime over cellular network. You'd have to upgrade to one of AT&T's shared data plans for that which means you'd lose your $30 LTE plan.

18. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

No, I have 200 texts for $5/mo. Most of the folks I text with have iPhones, so texting through the messaging app eliminates my need for unlimited texting.

19. brentsg macrumors 68040

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

after 5gb