Condo to test dog poo for DNA to identify the offending owner

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by yg17, Jun 29, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This is a bunch of bull, err, dog****. They're going way too far IMO.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/dna-samples-will-determine-if-jupiter-residents-arent-1568967.html

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So why doesn't my HOA come up with something like this. I don't own a single pet, but my yard if filled with pet crap, mostly dogs and cats. We have a leash laws and pooper scooper laws (pet droppings must be cleaned up) in my city, but these ignorant pet owners don't seem to care.

I've caught an owner in the act of letting his dog poop on my lawn. I forced him to pick clean it up on the spot. He didn't have a plastic bag (considerate pet owners always carry one when walking their dogs to clean up the droppings per pooper scooper law requirement). I told him to pick it up with his bare hands unless he wants to meet the business end of a louisville slugger.:mad:

There's more than just the stink problem. Dogs and cats are carnivores. Their droppings poses a health dangers.

[​IMG]

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I love it. Way too many dog owners don't give a **** about their neighbors leaving dog **** on the lawns and having barking dogs and leaving their windows wide open. I'm all for maximum pain for them. :D

I'm having an issue with a neighbor in my condo. I will catch that bitch on my iPhone. The Code Enforcement office in the village said if I did, he'd ticket her.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

5. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

I live in suburbs in the east bay, CA, but once i was in San Francisco with my friend who lives in the city with his dogs, we were out walking them and one of them went to the bathroom, and my friend didn't even pick it up we just kept walking. I didn't want to say anything, but i was think "that discussing". In my home owners association theres a law that says you will get a fine if you don't pick up dog poo, and i will say the parks stay pretty clean.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Round here dog walkers just go into the woods and forests, you don't really get anything on the streets.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Pick it up or give the dog away. What's the problem again?

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

some pet owners are just selfish and deserve the fines ... most are responsible though

9. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I would love to see these pics once it happens. :)

10. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I LOVE this. I lived in a really nice, brand new apartment building that allowed dogs. It quickly made the place deteriorate until I didn't want to live there anymore. People would walk their dogs on the grounds, even by the pool, and not pick up the ****. Once, I opened my front door and there was **** in the hallway. Signs, mailed notices, and threats did little to curb the lazy, disgusting behavior. I moved out after my year lease was up.

There's a reason I don't have a dog, I don't want the responsibility right now. I wish people would either act responsibly or not get dogs at all. No one wants to step in your animal's ****.

11. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

So, every dog owner, no matter if he takes care of his dogs feces or not, is being punished by having to pay for the DNA-taking? Great stuff, hello 1984!

All that comes from governments these days is more laws, more taxes, more laws, more taxes.

12. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

This isn't low-income housing we're talking about here. I'll bet the residents can easily afford it.

Government? No, condo association. That means if the residents don't like it, they can show up at the meeting and be heard and if needed, vote in a new board.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think it's a brilliant idea. I've got two dogs and always make sure I clean up after them, but unfortunately too many dog owners don't.

My daughter plays junior soccer and before every game we have to go over the whole pitch picking up dog faeces that thoughtless owners have let their dogs leave behind, and it's a gut wrenchingly disgusting task. Anything that makes owners takes responsibility gets a massive thumbs up from me

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Government? Did you read the article?

1984? Did you read the book?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. chaosbunny, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yes and yes. I'm no native English speaker though, so I interpreted "condo association" with something official.

It's still a stupid idea though. Punishing the ones that actually did everything right.

So you would like to pay $200 or $500 even though you clean up after them?

I don't think this is a good argument. As an example: How about an extra computer tax for every Mac user? These are expensive machines, I bet every Mac user could afford an extra $200.

17. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do Macs poop on the floor? If people choose to have pets then they need to look after them. How would you feel if I brought my 2 year old son over to your front lawn to poop every morning?
    I think it's a great rule and if people don't like it they can GTFO...

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'll give ya a pass on the government misunderstanding, but I fail to see how this relates to 1984.

Personally, I'd be happy to pay a one time fee to help ensure things stay clean in the public/communal spaces.

I agree that "they can afford it" is a bad argument, but so is your "Mac computer tax" argument. What public (or in this case communal) good is being funded by this "Mac tax" of yours? You would have us balk at a completely superfluous tax that appears to serve no purpose. However, the one time dog DNA testing fee actually serves a purpose. It incentivizes owners to pick up after their dog and therefore helps to keep the public/communal areas clean.

19. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

A condo association is basically a government. You're already living under a hierarchy of federal, state, and municipal laws and then you throw in an additional covenant that can be far more oppressive than anything the other three can dish out.

I've lived under two of them and they are terrible. They're harder and harder to escape now because even single family neighborhoods are forming them - you pay for the privilege of being told what to do, and don't get any services out of it.

As far as the issue at hand goes, yeah, it's always an issue in any neighborhood. What I can't understand, though, is how anyone could care about it SO much that they would go to this level. It's truly insane. Whatever happened to good old fashioned complaints?

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Complaints go no where if you can not enforce them.

As for the HOA they do provide services big time for condos.
    Services they provide is often care and maintenance of the public land on the property/neighborhood. They pay for the pool ect.

Now how bad the HOA depends on the HOA. The one my parents live under is not very bad and the rules are fairly simple. Keep lawn mowed, limited colors you can paint your house (basic normal house colors)
    Cars that are not used can not be stored in driveway (no cars on blocks)
    Do not store RV/trailers in driveway.

Now the storing rules are pretty relaxed. If you have your RV/trailer there a few days they are not going to give a rats ass but it prevents long term storage.

As for this one it pretty clear they are having a problem with people not picking up there dog's poop like they should. Now our front yard has some dog poop in it but it is from our dog and it is also in a more confided area. Other peoples dog I do not want their **** in my yard. PICK IT UP.

I know when I walk my dog I have her take a crap in the back yard before I leave and then do not have to worry about it. Only time I have left the **** in someone else yard was it was at the start of the walk and I knew I would be coming back by there on my way back.

I am willing to bet anyone will gets in trouble for this will only pay the fine once and then never again leave their dogs **** out there.

21. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

No, none of that is true. HOAs can and do give out fines for this based on complaints. You don't get a trial in a court of law. You pay or lose your house.

Getting harder and harder to do, unfortunately.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

And when complaints fail to curb the activity?

23. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I find a lot of perception has to do with luck. I have some neighbors that think the HOA is great, because they happen to have never had any of their oxes gored by them.

I've got one of those HOAs that follows HOA trends around the country. Some of the things they do are questionable or illegal, but no one really knows how to organize or has bothered to challenge it.

Some highlights:

- All motorcycles were evicted from the development
    - No washing your car
    - No satellite dishes (this one we've confirmed violates federal law)

24. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I don't know what you do then. The answer is probably not "compile massive doggie DNA database".

Burn a bag of the stuff on their porch?

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't get me wrong. Some of this HOAs and condo boards can be downright fascist. But we are only talking about DNA testing dog poop here nothing else.

Edit:

I think the problem here is no one knows who is doing it.