Condoms for First Graders

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leomac08, Jun 24, 2010.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Legal age you can ask a person if they are sexually active in Missouri is 8.

I think it's disgusting. Kids should not be having sex.

I have a 17 month old daughter and I am scared sh*tless about raising a daughter in the 21st century. I'm sure I'm not the first, and I'm sure 20th, 19th, 18th, etc, century dad's felt the same way. But still...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Look mum, I made ribbed balloon animals at school today!"

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

They have a lot of material on their plate right now. Have you seen the "Eat da Poo Poo" Video on youtube? I envision and episode about that.

5. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

They already have an episode exactly like this - "Proper Condom Use"

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The story said kindergarten through 5th grade so they're aged 5-11.

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Home school kids have sexual organs too.

The thread title is a bit misleading. The policy is clearly harm minimization and the target those students considering having sex, which will be the older kids at the school. Who at 9, 10, or 11 will have already undergone puberty in many cases and as such capable of becoming pregnant (along of course with passing on STIs).

So they kids have to go through a lot to get the condoms, they aren't just handed out. Either way this is much better than the alternate, kids having non-safe sex with no counseling to deter them altogether. Which is far more dangerous for everyone. Kids not having sex at all is the ideal, but unfortunately that isn't reality.

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

That's like saying I need to teach my two-year old about condoms because he has a little man tool. :rolleyes:

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Well it is not at all. Home school kids are not immune from having sex because they are home schooled.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

13. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yes it is.

It would seem home schooled children are less likely to engage in inappropriate behavior because they spend far more time under the supervision of their (stay-at-home homeschooling) parent than otherwise. Common sense to me. I'm sure you'll find a way to disagree. :)

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What do you think? Your answer should be a good reflection of how good pdphe is taught in australian schools :).

Not disagreeing necessarily but "common sense" here is analogous for "no proof".

You've another problem altogether if you feel the need to keep your kids isolated from others to keep them from engaging in "inapprioriate behavior". That's a perverse justification that will only damage them by keeping them from normal social interaction.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm not sure if condom use or sex in grade school equals "normal social interaction."

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

eh. i didnt give a ***** about school back then lol. logic tells me its possible?

my doc friend says puberty :p

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- that like saying read the damn article before you put your foot in your mouth.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Can you really imagine these kids approaching a school nurse for a condom? I can't..

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course not.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think this is the key to the story...

Officials say that there's no set age when sexual activity starts and students who ask for condoms will also receive counseling and information on abstinence.

It's not like their handing them out with their milk.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

One of the best episodes ever. Seeing a bunch of kindergardners list off all the sexual positions cracks me up.

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Precisely why homeschooling should be a LAST resort and not the first. Though I bet that this condoms for kids program thing would only make people who homeschool more justified in their position...if not smugly so.

Unfortunately, Id estimate most homeschooled kids have parents who NEVER would have let their kids goto a public one...and not just because the public schools available in their area sucked so badly.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

this smell of the media just making a big deal out of nothing. The school district is not making an age limit which is fine and not going to tell their parents which is again fine because it better that they use protection than none at all.

The media is just making as big of a deal as possible out of it by saying oh look first graders can ask for it. Most first graders boys think girls are yucky and most girls think the same about boys.