Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Death Warrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Hi there

Just to confirm that my brand new out of the box iPhone with Firmware 1.1.1 and new baseband is fully working -> unlocked -> activated -> jailbraked with any SIM card (actually just tried Swisscom, but it works fine).

First of all just following the manual of iNdependence for downgrading to 1.0.2, then activating, jailbraking and install ssh. After that just download the new iphonesimfree utility and register your IMEI number and unlock. After unlock you can upgrade back to 1.1.1 with independence and activating, jailbraking and install SSH again. After upgrade the SIM Card is fully working.

Here is a good guide for this scenario:
http://www.freeouriphones.com/MacTutorial.html

For me only section 2 applied.

DanBUK

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Awesome. Its nice to know it works! Thanks for the positive reports.

Mine arrives in the next 2 hours. 1.0.2 according to pdf reciept.

Gonna use the tutorial you recommended and accept the $60 hit for the sake of a stable unlock without messing around with a terminal. Will post if successful.

Gonna have it in UK a month before O2 and not with their really uncompetitive tarriff.:D

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
60$?
Hells no!
I am not going to pay any cash for upgrading my firmware from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1.
Anyone know if people with an anysim unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone can upgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock again? We should get a tutorial going for that, I bet a lot of people have 1.0.2 unlocked iPhones who would want to get the new update and all the fixes that go with it.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Yeah - I followed the same guide (section 2) and it worked. I had loads of problems before that though.. I upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and then run Simfree but it wouldn't work :D .

In the end I followed the instructions on that website (section 2) and downgraded my phone back to 1.0.2 and then run Simfree and this time it worked - though I did have to remove my sim card before it would work !

So I now have a 1.1.1 phone totally unlocked and working with any Sim Card I put into it... Well Happy.. :D

Spanners

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Tunbridge Wells, UK
60$?
Hells no!
I am not going to pay any cash for upgrading my firmware from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1.
Anyone know if people with an anysim unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone can upgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock again? We should get a tutorial going for that, I bet a lot of people have 1.0.2 unlocked iPhones who would want to get the new update and all the fixes that go with it.

I understand your point but the anySim method "breaks" the baseband so you get screwed every time you need to upgrade. So in the long run I think the $60 is worth it. It's only a once off cost!

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I understand your point but the anySim method "breaks" the baseband so you get screwed every time you need to upgrade. So in the long run I think the $60 is worth it. It's only a once off cost!

Once off? What about when the next firmware upgrade hits? Will my 60$ cover upgrading and unlocking for that as well or will I have to shell out again forever?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Once off? What about when the next firmware upgrade hits? Will my 60$ cover upgrading and unlocking for that as well or will I have to shell out again forever?

I'm pretty sure they will continue to provide free updates for the IMEI number you registered IF THEY CAN - at least that's what I gathered from their website.

DanBUK

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
One Happy Man!

I can confirm that my boxfresh 1.0.2 is now running 1.1.1 on Orange UK.

Arrived today, downloaded folder from freeouriphones (uses the pay-for iphonesimfree method). Purchased the $60 registration, ran jailbreak (included in downloaded folder), followed instructions carefully, panicked slightly, and...
now running 1.1.1 on Orange UK.

Very very impressive bit of kit. In my view, given there is not yet an easy to use and reliable free unlock for 1.1.1 (like iUnlock or Anysim) as the iphonesimfree method is the most stable and simplest and survived the last upgrade, I reckoned the cost was justified- I am delighted with my choice.

I will in addition be donating to the DevTeam for doing all the ground work, i hope these folk get enough money through donations so they can keep doing an incredible job.

Gonna go play now ;)

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Can also confirm it worked for me.. I had a 1.02 phone manually unlocked (the bad way). So I followed section 3 then 2 I think...

Anyway it works a treat!

About to do this aswell. Just purchased my license, do I have to wait for my IMEI to be added to the database or can I just do it straight away?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
About to do this aswell. Just purchased my license, do I have to wait for my IMEI to be added to the database or can I just do it straight away?

You can just try at any time. If it isn't registered it will tell you that. They seem to register pretty quickly though.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
You can just try at any time. If it isn't registered it will tell you that. They seem to register pretty quickly though.

Thanks! Downloading 1.1.1 and about to give it a go. Don't think I've ever been so worried in my life lol :eek:

EDIT: I'm getting "Unlock failed. Error unlock is currently unauthorized or unavailable for this phone. Contact your retailer" I'm guessing this means my IMEI hasn't been added yet? If so, I'm stuck on step 19 untill it is!

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
it worked last time too until people tried to upgrade. and then they found out about the problems.

what problems?
im curious about this.

and by the way, i tried this yesterday and it worked. the iphone is unlocked

and then this morning i completely restore my iphone from 1.0.2 activate, jailbreak, ssh via indepence then upgrade to 1.1.1 and again activate and so on..

still my phone is unlocked!!!

edit: when i bought my iphone its week 39 preloded with firmware 1.1.1

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Thanks! Downloading 1.1.1 and about to give it a go. Don't think I've ever been so worried in my life lol :eek:

EDIT: I'm getting "Unlock failed. Error unlock is currently unauthorized or unavailable for this phone. Contact your retailer" I'm guessing this means my IMEI hasn't been added yet? If so, I'm stuck on step 19 untill it is!

I was also stuck at that step with the same error. The only way I could fix was to remove the Sim card and then run step 19.. I'm still not sure why I would have to do this though..

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I was also stuck at that step with the same error. The only way I could fix was to remove the Sim card and then run step 19.. I'm still not sure why I would have to do this though..

That's got me pretty worried then. I've tried it without SIM and still got the same error. Emailed them for support, hope it's not bricked :(

stadidas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Kent, United Kingdom
my goodness why pay $60???

idev released ANYsim for 1.1.1 and its free

And if you read what they say, it isn't for phones that intend to be upgraded in the future. The AnySim unlock cripples the baseband and this is not a good thing. The Paid unlock a. doesn't cripple the baseband b. has come out earlier than the free unlock both times and c. is guaranteed as long as they can unlock firmware it will not cost anymore. A one-off payment and you can use any firmware that they can hack.

Death Warrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Just to add.. I got installer.app fully working with the 1.1.1 firmware two days ago. Had to do a little trick, but finally it works perfectly (done in about 10 minutes). I don't know if it posted already, but here is a little how to:

1) Download Installer.app from Nullriver (http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/)
2) Unzip the package
3) Right click and choose "show content", go to "Contents" and "Resources", there you find installer.app
4) Upload via iNdependence or sFTP the installer.app to the applications folder on the iPhone
5) Login via SSH (terminal ssh root@ip) and execute the following command:
chmod -Rf +x /Applications/Installer.app
6) Unlock the phone (slide to unlock) and execute the following in the terminal to execute installer.app
/Applications/Installer.app/Installer
7) You see know installer.app running on iPhone, click ctrl+c to cancel the command in terminal. The installer.app should close now on the iPhone.
8) In MobileSafari go to http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/beta and confirm the installation with YES
9) Go again to terminal and execute
/Applications/Installer.app/Installer
10) Go to category System in Apptapp and choose Trip1PogoStick to install.
11) Reboot your iPhone and now you should see the AppTapp icon on the main screen.
12) just a note: be carefully installing software from AppTrapp, not every software runs well on firemware 1.1.1. you might take a look to the notes first.

Death Warrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
after two days of using with this solution, I haven't found a single issue. Just works perfectly.

Ok, one I got. The APN settings will be lost everytime I reboot iPhone, but this might be another issue. After re-entering the APN info it continue to work perfectly.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I just upped to 1.1.1 via ipsf, and I lost my EDGE in T-Mo.

I use the 5.99/month plan. I did have to edit a file in 1.0.2 to get the EDGE to work.

ANyone got this running in 1.1.1?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005

This just means that the IMEI has not been activated. Nothing to worry about, just try again later. Don't worry - it will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.