Confirmed: Get unlimited data for $10 on At&t using Verizon Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ab26, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ab26 macrumors newbie

This is confirmed. I was able to use a Verizon Iphone on At&t and get unlimited data for $10. At&t has data unlimited for feature phones starting at $10. Since you use a Verizon iphone, at&t doesn't recognize it as a smartphone and you get billed at $10.

Only downside is you don't get LTE. It's HSDPA+ which is not bad at all. I got speeds upto 7Mbps down.

It's been 5 days and the At&t system still shows my phone as a "feature" phone when I have been using my Verizon iphone all throughout.

2. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

That's pretty sweet how much is your plan total? I guess only downside is you'll always need a Verizon iPhone and pay full price

3. ab26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 450 mins $40 voice plan with $10 data unlimited. Totaling $50. Yes, the downside is trying to get a Verizon Iphone.

4. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

heh heh, and by posting it here, ATT will find out soon enough and close the loophole...

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You had better enjoy it fast... It's about to be detected.

Never be so silly as to think you can outsmart the carrier.

They know what you're using, they know where you live, and you'll be charged retroactive for usage.

Someone will have the last laugh, and it's not going to be you. :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a pretty sweet deal.
    But like the poster above said I wonder if it becomes a trend then AT&T might start going after it.
    And since all US carrier now share the same lost/stolen blacklist if they all decide to share device info such as IMEI's and CID's. Then AT&T's system will be able to recognize it and do what they been doing for years. Add the correct iphone data plan automaticly.
    Sucks but they dont like losing a single penny.

7. ab26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure about At&t detecting it. This trick has always been used by Android users. People buy international versions of Android phones and get the $10 unlimited plan. If At&t needs to remove this loophole, they would have done so by now.

Now since, iphone from different networks can be used interchangeably, I doubt they can find out.

I mean, they would need to have imei database of ALL iphones and I am not sure they can have that.

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

That's true. They can't detect what's not in their system. Only way they may suspect something is if you abuse it and use a ton of data.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I said.
    If you got it internationally that would be very hard.
    But if its a US iphone and they start sharing device info for all US carriers like the started doing earlier this year with the blacklist database. Then this would be easier to accomplish.
    Im not saying by all iphones but at least all US sold iphones could be retrieved.
    Or if they asked Apples help in this Im sure Apple wouldnt say no and would allow them identify all iphones.
    Im not a big fan of those big carriers that keep charging more and more to provide less. So hope you can take advantage of this loophole for as much as you can.

10. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Haha AT&T can barely handle an upgrade swap but they can pick up on this? I HIGHLY doubt it.

11. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

[​IMG]

12. wildonrio macrumors 6502

Do the feature phone unlimited data plans throttle after X amount of GB?

13. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

thats a great find, wonder if ATT will detect since its not their device

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet at&t doesn't care as much as you think. 1) It's a Verizon iPhone so it's not like it's one less iPhone for at&t and 2) they didn't have to subsidize it in any way so all they're doing is collecting $$$ from you.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Sure they dont care at all.
    It doesnt matter if they subsidized it or not.
    If you're using a lot of data and instead of paying them $30-40-60 for data a month but getting it for $10 they will eventually care.
    You're underestimating their greediness:D

16. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

That's sick!

17. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Well then to hell with it. LTE where I am is as fast as my Wifi.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm sure they'll throttle this "unlimited data" if it's too much for their taste (threshold for throttling is probably much lower compared to smartphones), but at least they don't have $450 to make up for.

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Why does the Verizon iPhone work with AT&T? So Verizon phones are basically gsm phones plus CDMA?wouldnt that make it the best version of the iPhone?you get option of both worlds?

Edit: man the iOS keyboard sucks. Option is supposed to say "best of"

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1453236

21. mobiletech macrumors member

Don't under estimate the power of money $10/ month is cheap enough that a large group of Verizon iPhone users will use this loop hole, producing $10/ user from a normaly non-existant demographic.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

May not be that useful to them if at&t decides to throttle at 200 MB because it's supposed to be a standard phone.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have been a serious multi-platform mobile phone enthusiast since long before there was such a thing as a "Smartphone".

Traveling Internationally for over a decade, I became very interested in all of the many mobile phones of the world. Taking immediate action, I developed a working relationship with one of the worlds largest multi brand distributors in Hong Kong. That was also prior to the establishment of www.gsmarena.com the first site where people could see all the phones of the world in one place.

Once I had that relationship in place, I was able to buy any phone I wanted, even some they didn't carry, & have it shipped to my office in the US.

I've purchased more phones each year than most other enthusiasts will in a lifetime. Thus my only point is, I have years of first hand experience in the field of mobile phone ownership, having multiple lines & phones. I know almost every trick in the book when it comes to using Unlocked, Unbranded (no carrier), Feature Phones & Smartphones on any GSM based carrier.

Do you really think that AT&T actually has loopholes? A loophole is but a fantasy that the unsuspecting or uneducated user wants to believe exists.

Oh sure, they may talk a good game, and may have gotten away with switching a sim, or swapping a data plan for long enough to brag about their big "cheat" or "loophole".

But I can assure you it didn't last long, nor did they come back to the forum & post about how they got caught & billed retroactively to the start of their scheme.

If anyone thinks they are "getting away" without being noticed, they are hallucinating. Yeah, it might take some time for AT&T to catch it during mass activation periods like iPhone launch madness time each year. But as soon as the smoke clears, the bills will follow. You can count on it.

Don't kid yourself... AT&T, Verizon, and every other carrier are all just like Apple. They are going to milk you for every penny!

If you don't believe it, the only one you're fooling... is the person you see in the mirror.

24. auero macrumors 65816

This isn't detected because AT&T doesn't have a clue as to what phone you're using. If they ever ask tell them its a samsung flip phone of some sort. People have been doing this on Android phones for a while now.

25. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I thought AT&T got rid of all unlimited plans including edge?