Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Apple Service in Austin has contacted me regarding my SR MBP. It seems that some units with the 160GB 7200rpm drive experience drive access problems, and that MBP owners with drives with particular serial numbers are being contacted. They promise to repair/replace the drive free of charge, if needed. They sent me a box so that I can ship the unit to them.

I contacted Apple in Cupertino and they have no knowledge of this recall, but Apple Service in Austin confirms it.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Apple Service in Austin has contacted me regarding my SR MBP. It seems that some units with the 160GB 7200rpm drive experience drive access problems, and that MBP owners with drives with particular serial numbers are being contacted. They promise to repair/replace the drive free of charge, if needed. They sent me a box so that I can ship the unit to them.

I contacted Apple in Cupertino and they have no knowledge of this recall, but Apple Service in Austin confirms it.

can you confirm what some of the symptoms/signs a user may experience that point to having said faulty drives? This may help consumers out in determining if they need to contact Apple for more info about the recall.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
The most logical thing to do would be to post the Serial Numbers that are within the recall, that way an owner can determine if they qualify for the recall.

can you confirm what some of the symptoms/signs a user may experience that point to having said faulty drives? This may help consumers out in determining if they need to contact Apple for more info about the recall.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005

That's weird... I wouldn't send yours in until there's an official announcement from Cupertino. It just doesn't seem right to me.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006

Regarding symptoms, the email I received simply stated this:

Re: MACBOOK PRO (15-INCH 2.4/2.2GHZ) Serial Number XXXXXXXXXXX
Problem Description: Internal Hard Drive - Drive not mounting/recognized

The representative I spoke with on the phone told me that over time, data transfer rates from the HDD would begin to slow. She was a bit vague and untechnical but adamant that the problem should be addressed.

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
This sounds very sketchy...i would make sure that this is legit...you received an email? I doubt that that is the proper way to communicate this recall. Be careful.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
This sounds very sketchy...i would make sure that this is legit...you received an email? I doubt that that is the proper way to communicate this recall. Be careful.

Well, I've confirmed with Apple in Cupertino that the order originated from their service office in Austin, but they not could provide me with any other information. I received the shipping box today; it all looks very official.

I think that they're just trying to keep this problem q-u-i-e-t.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
This does sound fishy. An empty box arrives for you to ship your expensive computer to God-knows-where under the pretext that its a limited MBP recall?

I would investigate further before doing such a thing.

Estelio

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Other people have had this exact problem, I'm sure Apple would like to keep it quiet.

I'd send it in and not mess around with a wonky HD.

Let us know how long it takes and what happens.
If you feel comfortable, you should also post the serial number range if you can so others can know if they should be expecting a call.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Other people have had this exact problem, I'm sure Apple would like to keep it quiet.

I'd send it in and not mess around with a wonky HD.

Let us know how long it takes and what happens.
If you feel comfortable, you should also post the serial number range if you can so others can know if they should be expecting a call.

I'm not sure of the serial number range; I was simply told that my machine was one of the units affected. If I find out I will be sure to post it.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Why not have the place in Texas set you up something with an apple store near you? Then it would have to be legit. Unless you live in Seattle where our apple store was just broken into and all the apple laptops under repair were stolen. But I don't see why they would make you ship it to Texas do something the store can take care of.

Just my two cents.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
Why not have the place in Texas set you up something with an apple store near you? Then it would have to be legit. Unless you live in Seattle where our apple store was just broken into and all the apple laptops under repair were stolen. But I don't see why they would make you ship it to Texas do something the store can take care of.

Just my two cents.

Damn, how they making it up to you?

Sorry for being off topic but that just begs the question.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Dude this seems really sketchy. I mean they authorized this and Apple HQ has no idea of this issue??? Seems weird to me. I would make some phone calls to clear this up. Hit up Steve Jobs?:D

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Damn, how they making it up to you?

Sorry for being off topic but that just begs the question.

Just read about it, mine was safe at home. Seriously OP, why would they have you ship a laptop to Texas just to have a HD replaced. They can do it at the apple store and you won't have to miss it that much and have the peace knowing its there, I would kindly ask them to make it happen.

Heres the link to the burglary at the seattle apple store link

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Just to follow up: It seems someone else on MR has been contacted for the same problem.

I received my pre-addressed box today. We'll see how long this takes.

I confess that I would feel better if Apple HQ was familiar with this recall.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I confess that I would feel better if Apple HQ was familiar with this recall.

That part scares me the most. Even if they were trying to keep it quiet, someone in customer service would have known. I say you call again and go as far up as you can asking about this recall. Tell them you've recieved boxes in the mail, and you're not sure whether or not it's legit. If it is, they will tell you. Get as many details as possible. If they don't know what you're talking about, don't send your notebook in. Take it to an Apple Store and tell them what's been going on with it (assuming your notebook has had trouble). They can send it out from there, so at least you have some receipts to work with.

iSwitchd

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
I hope you kissed your notebook before you put it in that box and shipped it out.

I'll bet you via Paypal $500, You will never see it again.

Got any other nice electronics you wanna ship out for warranty work? I think I'll buy some brown boxes and start doing this. :cool:

Please tell me you didn't ship this out.... :confused::confused::eek::eek:

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
I hope you kissed your notebook before you put it in that box and shipped it out.

I'll bet you via Paypal $500, You will never see it again.

Got any other nice electronics you wanna ship out for warranty work? I think I'll buy some brown boxes and start doing this. :cool:

Please tell me you didn't ship this out.... :confused::confused::eek::eek:

I felt the way you do, but when I contacted Apple HQ they confirmed the service order, the service order number, as well as the identity of the person whom I spoke with when I was first informed of the recall. However, they were not able to confirm the nature of the service order and denied any knowledge of the recall in general.

The shipping box that arrived yesterday featured an Apple generated bar-coded label, etc. etc. It all looks legit to me. As I said before, I think they just want to keep this thing quiet.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I felt the way you do, but when I contacted Apple HQ they confirmed the service order, the service order number, as well as the identity of the person whom I spoke with when I was first informed of the recall. However, they were not able to confirm the nature of the service order and denied any knowledge of the recall in general.

The shipping box that arrived yesterday featured an Apple generated bar-coded label, etc. etc. It all looks legit to me. As I said before, I think they just want to keep this thing quiet.

Anybody can create a fake "Apple" box. It's not that hard. Even a barcode isn't all that hard if you follow Apple's general pattern. The fact that they still deny a recall is the most troubling thing. I'm guessing you've called the Apple phone number from Apple's website right? You haven't used the number that was given to you when you first contacted about the "recall" right? If you did use that number, then I don't know what to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.