Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
Someone over at appleinsider grabbed this from Apple's eduction web site/page whatever-

http://www.geocities.com/vision_ar/new_specs.html has the saved source.

Here's the breakdown-

Processor
800-MHz Power PC G4
933-MHz Power PC G4
Dual 1-GHz Power PC G4
On-chip cache
256K L2 at 800 MHz
256K L2 at 933 MHz
256K L2 at 1 GHz per processor
L3 cache (DDR SDRAM)

2MB with 3.7-GBps throughput
2MB per processor with 4-GBps throughput
Main memory (PC 133 SDRAM)
256MB
256MB
512MB
Hard disk drive
40GB (7200 rpm)
60GB (7200 rpm)
80GB (7200 rpm)
Graphics support
ATI Radeon 7500 with 32MB of DDR RAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 64MB of DDR RAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 64MB of DDR RAM
Optical drive
CD-RW
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
FireWire
Two ports
Two ports
Two ports
USB
Four ports
Four ports
Four ports
PCI
Four slots
Four slots
Four slots
Ethernet
10/100/1000BASE-T
10/100/1000BASE-T
10/100/1000BASE-T
Wireless networking
AirPort ready
AirPort ready
AirPort ready
Modem
Accessories
Apple Pro Keyboard, Apple Pro Mouse, and modem cable
Applications and tools
Mac OS X v10.1 and Mac OS 9.2; QuickTime,
iMovie 2, iDVD 2 (requires SuperDrive),
iPhoto, iTunes 2, DVD Player, Mac OS X Mail,
Microsoft Internet Explorer, EarthLink, Acrobat
Reader 5.0, Art Director’s Toolkit, FAXstf 10.0
Preview, FileMaker Pro 5.5 Trial, Graphic
Converter, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, PCalc,
PixelNhance, and Snapz Pro X; Apple
Hardware Test CD
Training
Complete setup, learning, and reference documentation
Service and support
90 days of telephone support and a one-year limited warranty
Internet service
30 days of free Internet service through EarthLink
------------------------------------------------------------------------

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
gef4 isn't too feasible but hey whatever.

if the gef4 was ready, nvidia would have told us by now, especially due to the war they are having with ATI.

altho, taking another look i might believe it because of the links. but after spymac i think everyone makes sure not to believe. that was funny to watch.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
It's certainly possible...

...but they're already using the 800MHz G4 in the iMac. Unless they can get a LOT of 800MHz G4s they aren't going to put it in both lines.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I completely agree about the GF4.. nVidia would be announcing the chip all over the place, and has anyone heard a peep about it??? Not even any write ups in magazines where they give preliminary units to. I have found that at least a month or two before the card hits the market, the makers announce them. That way, the market is primed and ready to buy as soon as they become available.

I am also more then a little leery of the dual 1GHz set. Judging from past history, Apple releases two single, and a dual processor model. So far, the dual is the middle speed per chip (combines to make it much faster then either of the other two). Such as the present line of the 733, dual 800, and 867 models. Since the combination has worked for Apple so far, why would they change now?

I will believe the new models, when they are announced by Apple. Whatever the speeds are, they are. I would hope that we have more then just nVidia cards available in the BTO (for AGP video, not including PCI). I would like to see the Radeon 8500 as an option.

I would hope that the announcements come out soon, either at Seybold (feb.), or in MW-Tokyo (March). If there is nothing at either of those two shows, then the next chance would most likely be at MWNY in July.

Lets hope for the best, but expect the worst. That way, we won't be too disappointed.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
well if it WAS on the site its not there anymore. i just signed on to earn and learn and there is nothing. taking the links and pasting them doesnt work either. i guess theres always a slight chance that some webmaster is gonna get fired.

-=AsukA=-

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
BS!

yea i know i was wrong on the whole new G4 tower thing.... but from what this guy said. TOTAL CRAP! the low end tower is lower than the best new iMac! a 40 gig HD? 800MHz G4? 256 RAM? come on! even the low end Pro line up would be better than the best iMac! after all its a step up in quality, power! (and price)

I dont think apple will sell the G4 anymore (in pro line up desk tops) the G5 will replace the pro end computers.(exsept for the power book, wich i bet apple is hard at work makeing a G5 version, due sometime next year!) after all the iMac is G4! Pros dont want the same chip, they want better! and MHz makes them mad! I bet we wont ever see a new pro desktop with less than a 1 GHz processing power! it may take untill tokyo, but the G5 IS comming!

-and a GForce 4? HA! come on! not even dell or any other PEE CEE company would put that in a package yet, to new! If anything a GForce 3 or the best radion pro!

-and considering the best iMac has a DVD-R drive why would the lowest tower not have a DVD-R drive? (yea i know its called a super drive!)
when apple releases new towers at Tokyo, or Seybold, all variations wil have super drive, considering prices have gone WAY down, and people want more features rather than a big Hz number!

my 2¢ at least!

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
plop... yet another confirmed rumor

will the bull**** ever end? has anyone ever heard of actually proving your confirmation with some hard evidence (aka corporate urls, links to a site that isn't hosted on geocities, thumb scan from Jobs ;) )

stop *trying* to pull our legs. its getting a little old.

udannlin

macrumors member
May 8, 2001
California
Originally posted by sparkleytone
gef4 isn't too feasible but hey whatever.

if the gef4 was ready, nvidia would have told us by now,

It may be tht Apple wants to make a dual announcement with their new primary video supplier...

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
There's been lots about the GeForce4, Xbitlabs had some stuff on it that they had to remove, ithey even had box shots.

Geforce 4 is supposed to be released in early Feb, so there is a possiblity of dual announcement .

"The fastest PowerMac combined with the fastest 3D graphics card..."

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by pc_convert?
There's been lots about the GeForce4, Xbitlabs had some stuff on it that they had to remove, ithey even had box shots.

Geforce 4 is supposed to be released in early Feb, so there is a possiblity of dual announcement .

"The fastest PowerMac combined with the fastest 3D graphics card..."

The link gets you to the site, but when you select anything on the left... you get 0 information. Select 'video' and you get a refreshed page with a video icon in the main frame, but no text or any information/images at all.

If this site is peecee only, then why put in the url, if it is supposed to work on the Mac too, then someone needs to slap them boys.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
As I said the site had to take down the info. It's very unlikely that GeForce4 is PC only, Nvidia are really trying to promote themselves as the standard in 3D graphics, this basically means that they have to develop for Macs.

I'm not sure but I believe the GeForce Hardware is the same for PC's and Macs (both AGP standard). The only difference is the driver. I remember reading about a guy who brought a PC GeForce card (less expensive than the Mac one) downloaded the drivers and installed it and everything went okay.

I'll try and find the link and post it.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
Re: plop... yet another confirmed rumor

Originally posted by Onyxx
will the bull**** ever end? has anyone ever heard of actually proving your confirmation with some hard evidence (aka corporate urls, links to a site that isn't hosted on geocities, thumb scan from Jobs ;) )

stop *trying* to pull our legs. its getting a little old.

mm, why would I want to pull your leg? Anyways:rolleyes:

For the "coporate urls" http://learnandearn.apple.com/cgi-b...arn.woa/9/wo/fUjgb2mFXR53ZOQ6Z2/49.19.3.1.0.1

I was told it hasd been taken down.

I am merely relaying a post I found on-

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000535.html

So all the Bull**** must be coming from somewhere else. And all the talk about ragging on ****ing posters would care to share some info they found and cut and paste all the ****ing info for the memebers of this forum to read, you need to get a ****ing life, because posters like you and postings like yours are getting old :rolleyes:

<please excuse my rant>

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
how did the site look?

Any one see the site that started this tread? How does it look? Does it look at least like Apple site? I tyied to get to it but it is:

"Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information"

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
Re: how did the site look?

Originally posted by evildead
Any one see the site that started this tread? How does it look? Does it look at least like Apple site? I tyied to get to it but it is:

"Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information"

Someone copied over the source code and saved it to the above link. It looked legit, the education images wouldn't load (becuase they were looking for apple's server and it wasn't on ppe's server) It spoke to the education people about what they can upgrade to, then the above specs then some more education graphics and © and links back to apple.

This would be very hard to fake because of the source code. Someone would have to take and actual education page, then call all the links, and images, then create their own specs, etc.

The person that posted this at XLR8YOURMAC said he saw it on their site and grabbed it before they yanked it. He defended himself fairly well, making a believer of me. (obviously)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.