Conflicting info on what voids a MBP warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TnIan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. TnIan macrumors member

The general consensus here seems to be that replacing the RAM/hard drive in the current MBPs doesn't void the warranty on the machine. I thought I'd call Apple a few times to inquire about that, and here's what I got:

Call #1: "Greg" in tech support. He said replacing the hard drive yourself voids the warranty on the hard drive itself, but doesn't affect the warranty on the rest of the machine.

Call #2: "Greg" (different Greg) in business sales. He said you CANNOT replace the drive yourself without voiding the entire warranty. I said I'd just been told that you can replace the drive yourself; he put me on hold, talked to someone else, came back, and said nope, you have to have the drive replaced by an authorized service center.

Call #3: "Justin" in tech support. He said that opening the machine, period, voids the entire warranty.

Argh.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

I've been told concflicting too. It depends on what is user upgradable as defined by Apple.
    HD drives--one would think so since it's in the manual.
    superdrive--not sure.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If a part is considered by Apple to be user-replaceable, they say so. The superdrive isn't one of those parts.

6. TnIan thread starter macrumors member

I should've clarified - I was calling about the 15" MBPs. "Justin" specifically said the hard drive in the 13" is user-replaceable, but the drive in the 15" is not.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple provides instructions how to upgrade your HD in 15" manual too

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_15inch_Mid2010.pdf

So it does not void it, Apple techs don't know what they are talking about

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've done it on many 15" and 17" machines; never had any issues with warranty. If they ask (and they don't), just tell them an authorized technician did it.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It a royal PITA do to it this way but...

save any OEM parts you replace and then if you ever have a warranty issue just reinstall them. For most items Apple won't know the difference as long as you are careful.

This is especially true of RAM as Apple will not replace your 3rd part RAM if they lose it during a repair. Many times they won't pay attention to what you had installed and will just stick in whatever the OEM spec for your model was.

10. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Greg 1 is right. HD is a user replaceable thing.

11. TnIan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, especially the link to the user manual. As long as I've got that to stick under the nose of a Genius Bar rep, it seems like I ought to be fine replacing the drive myself.

12. I-Eat-Flowers macrumors newbie

When I ordered my MBP I asked the guy on the phone about the hdd replace thing... he told me that when I'm about to replace the hdd I should call an apple technician and do it under his phone supervision... that way apple will even cover damage you might cause while replacing it

13. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

It's a TRAP!!!
    Apple will show up at your house and take your computer away!!

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's ridiculous. Apple will never cover damage that you cause, no matter who supervises, instructs or guides you.