Conflicting information: is charging your battery to 100% bad for it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keekedthefout, Nov 5, 2017.

1. keekedthefout macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I have read a lot of conflicting information on how to properly charge your iPhone battery and the people on this forum seem pretty knowledgeable so I am hoping to find some answers!

Is charging your phone to 100% or leaving it plugged in overnight bad for the battery? I have already done it twice (oops!) since getting my new iPhone X before a friend told me to stop that!

Help! :D

2. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

plug it in as often as you want for as long as you want.

don't sweat it.

(imo)

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Most urban legends about how to charge your phone are just old wive’s tales. Batteries made in the last two decades or so are paired with much better battery management software than in the past. Charging to 100% and leaving your phone plugged in will have no (or negligible) effect on the condition of your battery.

4. Jjayf macrumors 6502

if this were true, my 6 would have been dead a long time ago.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No, and no.

If you want to get good information, this forum is the place to be.

6. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

No it’s fine, don’t listen to your friend.

7. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

As already stated, modern batteries and battery management means that unless you really abuse the charging cycles, you'll be fine. Leaving plugged in makes practically no difference these days as no power gets to the battery once it is at 100%. Draining it completely once in a while and giving it a good charge overnight doesn't hurt either. Goes without saying though, somebody who uses their phone loads during the day and needs top-up charging won't get quite as good longevity out of their battery compared to somebody like me who rarely needs to do more than charge it overnight.

8. apeligros2 macrumors newbie

apeligros2

anyone knows why when your phone X reachs 100% the symbol of charging keeps the same way as it was still charging?
    i remember in other devices the symbol changes when it stops charging.

I have used cable charger, and wireless belkin charger, and more than 1 hour at 100% and it keeps charging...(looks like).

Has anyone realize of that?

9. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

It is not bad. Nor is it good.

Teslas all charge to 80-90% usually and that is what they recommend. But they are looking for people to keep their car 3-5 yrs minimum.

You could do the 20-80 charge and maybe squeeze a few more cycles out of your phone. But its not worth it and we’re talking like 5 years from now where most people would have a new phone already.

10. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

The battery charges to 80% then switches to a trickle charge to maintain battery condition (apparently). It’s only not advised to charge to 100% if you are then going to power it off and leave it off for months.

11. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Tesla is nice because you can set the charge. WIth smartphones, you have to monitor it like a hawk. If you want 20% to 80%, you have to constantly check your phone every 10-20 mins

12. MyNamesNotBob macrumors newbie

I try to not charge past 80% because, well I don’t know, just habit. But life isn’t practical like that so it’s not a rule that’s easily stuck to if you’re travelling. It doesn’t make much difference, changed my 6s battery last month, got a bit more time out of it, but not much