Confrontation in AppleStore by Trump staffer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Phil in ocala, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

On Saturday, an activist confronted White House press secretary Sean Spicer in an Apple store, questioning his relationship to Russia. “Are you a criminal as well? Have you committed treason, just like the president?” she asked Spicer.

In response, the press secretary seemed to suggest that the woman, who was born in America but is of Indian origin, should be grateful to be in the country.

“Such a great country that allows you to be here,” he says in response to her questions, recorded on Periscope. As the Guardian points out, it’s not clear if Spicer was referring to her ethnicity or her right to confront a public official.

But in a Medium post, the woman, Shree Chauhan, describes feeling threatened—that Spicer had suggested that her citizenship were in jeopardy.

“That is racism and it is an implied threat. Think about the sheer audacity of Mr. Spicer to say that to my face with a smile, knowing that he that he is being recorded on video and the position of power he holds in our government,” she writes. “I am still stunned by the boldness of having my citizenship threatened on camera.”

This reminds me....in the 1930's Gypsies from Hungary were in Germany...their citizenship was threatened and they were all rounded up...77500 by the Gestapo...deported to camps.
    Report Advertisement
    “It’s one thing to have a Twitter egg tell say you do not belong in America, it is quite another to have the Press Secretary of the United States of America do so. I am still astounded. And while I am fearless, I wonder how this administration will use its power to silence ordinary people like me,” she continued.

Predictably, the woman appears to have spent her weekend battling Twitter trolls who were far more explicit about their xenophobia.

18h
    [​IMG]

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

In the same respect you don't get to initiate a confrontation then "feel threatened"

3. shinji, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

An obnoxious comment he made in response to accusations of treason...reminds you of the Gestapo deporting people to concentration camps?

4. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

This is what you call hypocrisy. She confronts him first accusing him to have committed treason and then with his response feels threatened?! This is laughable.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I always feel safe in an Apple Store. Also, you should know better than to even talk to Spicer...won't end well.

6. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

More than anything else, if I accuse someone of treason I'd normally expect a lash back. She's just a troll.

7. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Yep, it was a setup. It's recorded. And she initiated the conversation.

It was all done deliberately for publicity. She probably followed him to the store, and hoped it would get nasty.

If it were me, I'd get a copy of the security tapes. If the tapes show her following him, I'd file stalking charges against her.

Let her claim she felt threatened, while the video shows her deliberately following him into the store.

The claim to fear her safety is about as valid as claiming that a train threatened to run you over when you threw yourself in front of it. Obviously, you made the choice, because the train couldn't come after you.

8. zin Suspended

Very brave of her to confront the President's press secretary. As we all know too well, you have to be very careful what you say in fascist America or you'll get disappeared in the middle of the night.

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I wish these people really knew what fascism was before they threw the word around.

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Is the press secretary really a position of power?

I guess people can be dumb enough to think the press secretary can eject her from the country and strip her of citizenship.

At least she picked up a couple more twitter and periscope followers... mission accomplished.

11. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

I think people like this devalue the issues created by the new administration. This just reduced the pressure that the minorities has been trying to create on the administration. At best she's made a dumb move.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In not well versed in this incident, but do you mean if you criticize a person in a leadership position and they imply your citizenship could be in jeopardy, you should not feel threatened?

13. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

Look at what she actually said, it wasn't a criticism, it was accusation and also he didn't say anything about citizenship directly. She made it out to be like that. He could've very well it to mean as if she could say things like that because it is America. Freedom of speech is the context there.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although I dispise Spicer, and generally support calling the Trump Administration liars, if it was like that, then I'm ok with that, although I understand the anger the Trump Administration has generated.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

There is no threat implied. It's a phrase I repeat almost everyday. I am proud of the US, a great country that allows me to be here.

16. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Right. I ran into Robert Gibbs, Obama's first press secretary, during breakfast in a Marriott in Albuquerque, NM where the president was staying back in 2010. I'm no fan of Obama, but I knew who he was and politely introduced him to my wife who was with me. Good mornings were exchanged, he asked where we were from, we told him and that we were going up the tram on Sandia Peak to do some hiking and photography. It was all very pleasant, and even though I disliked the administration and its policies, I had nothing against Gibbs personally.

That attitude is just wrong. It's just basic politeness, not badgering like this left wing nutcase woman was doing. Whoever said it above is probably right, it was a setup designed to elicit a reaction that would be caught on video.

17. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

COULN'T AGREE MORE.!!!

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

That's what I have been telling for a long time, even on this forum. What the lady did is THE reason politicians stop listening to people and close themselves in a shell. I have seen it firsthand with senators etc. Most of them are ready to talk and to begin conversation, and instead they get ambushed. Often insulted. In one case I was talking to a local leader just to be interrupted by a screaming, insulting lady. I have seen it way too many times. I can't stand it.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I guess it's a matter of degrees. The critique could easily be directed at the Obama haters for the previous 8 years.

Do you really consider her to be a nutcase? Of all people, Spicer is the spinning, lying Trump Administration spokesperson, both he and Conway direct projections of what the President stands for. If I had seen him in a retail location, I probably would not have the nerve to confront him, but what she said is exactly how I feel about them, regarding Russia and as a treat to our country from within.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

People can voice their disagreement in an educated, constructive manner. "Excuse me sir, I noticed that you are Mr. Spicer. I'd like to voice my disagreement towards some of President Trump's initiatives. For example this this and that. My fear is that we are moving towards a more fascist state. Can you please help me understand better President Trump's plans?"

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

He could have really triggered her by saying "hey idiot, if this place was really being run fascism style you sure as hell wouldn't be standing here talking to me like this!"
    She got her 15 minutes and she doesn't need a second more.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

People in the US love to use the word "fascism" for some reason. I think I mentioned it before, but I one heard a lady during a city council saying (on record) that all the city councils were fascists. The reason? They just approved a public vote on a proposition! o_O According to my grandparents fascists didn't really ask for your input. Go figure.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Agreed. Furthermore I think if this was the Obama Administration the IRS would have already received instructions to begin audit procedures on this woman, as in this case here.....

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/05/kmov-anchor-the-irs-is-targeting-me-163945

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You should thank the Indian Americans for that.

As for this encounter..wow. Where do I begin? So much wrong. I absolutely believe in confrontation, but at the appropriate time and place...like a town hall meeting. As much as I absolutely cannot stand Sean Spicer and think he is a total lying slime ball like the rest of the administration, just like every person he should have the right to shop in peace. On the other hand, dreamers should be able to live their lives in peace too without fear of deportation but the administration doesn't seem to care much about them despite the lip service saying they do.

Further Sean's creepy comment about a country that "allows" her to be here is way beyond the pale and completely inappropriate. So I consider both responses to each other to be wrong and two wrongs certainly do not make anything or anyone right here.

Wrong & wrong.