Confucianism and the "Golden Rule"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Nov 2, 2009.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I took this to be essentially the golden rule in class today but my Professor disagreed. He explained it with this example

"The golden rule means if someone is in a ditch, then you should help them out because that's what you would want if you were in a ditch. Confucianism is saying 'don't put someone in the ditch to begin with'".

I responded with "however, I would not want someone to NOT help me out of the ditch, so if I don't help someone out of the ditch, then I am breaking this rule".

He took this as not valid. What's the deal? Is this really what Confucianism is about? Seems wrong to me.

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I don't know Confucianism really, but I think that to assume the "golden rule" only covers the positive case and ignores the negative case is to apply excessively literal parsing to the translation of the Biblical expression of the principle.

The sense people generally take from this rule is "treat others as you would wish to be treated," which certainly precludes throwing people in ditches.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I wouldn't want someone to not want to pull me from a ditch because I wouldn't not want to pull them out.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Ziiiiiiing! :D