Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Why is it that for some movies, they are available to rent in HD, but not to buy? I recently bought Johnny English Reborn, hoping it was HD (The page said it was, but the button for buying the movie wasn't)

It did however have a rented version available in HD. What i'm asking is why in the world is it not possible to buy certain movies in HD, yet you can rent them? it's really confusing.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
It's the same way in the iTunes store no matter where you are in the world. I've bought nearly 200 movies in the US store. Movies that were once available in HD are no longer and movies that I was waiting for an HD sale, are. Movies that were available in SD years ago are now only in the store for rent.

The movie studios play their games by doing this. When you see a movie available for sale that you want, grab it as soon as possible because it may not be for sale next month or even available in HD.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
The copyright owners dictate how Apple can offer these movies.
They make movies available for rent only so they don't cut into their BluRay sales. Apple has nothing to do with that.
The content industry does not want you to own movies.

In germany this is referred to as "Verwertungskette",
the order movies are offered to various sources.

Cinema -> BlueRay/DVD with Extras -> Cheaper DVD's -> iTunes -> TV Exclusives and so forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.