Confused about HDMI-CEC and the Apple TV

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I think I need to file a bug report to Apple regarding the tvOS. They fail to return the CEC version on the bus, that may cause other devices to fail to comply.

Code:
device #4: Playback 1
address:       3.1.0.0
active source: no
vendor:        Unknown
osd string:    Apple TV
CEC version:   unknown
power status:  standby
language:      ???
How do you get that info???

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Ahhh... You need an extra device! I though you managed to do it from adb in Android or something like that. Ok, thanks.
I actually tried to get to HDMI info from Bravia via ADB, but no dice. May be I was not persistent enough, but more likely it is too low level to be exposed to Android developer.
Seems to be handled by com.sony.dtv.tvinput.external service or something like that.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
HDMI-CEC was never meant to work flawlessly. Perhaps that's the reason why manufactures implement it differently. Because no one can agree on anything

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
HDMI-CEC was never meant to work flawlessly. Perhaps that's the reason why manufactures implement it differently. Because no one can agree on anything
I think the basic functionality - power & volume control, setting the active source - shouldn't be that difficult to implement according to spec.
Again - the addressing scheme and limitation on max number of devices is the most stupid thing of the whole CEC protocol.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I dunno. HDMI CEC reminds me the Bluetooth standard at the beginning. It was a mess. I had to give back a new LG phone because it didn't work with my car handsfree system. And it didn't work with Android Gingerbread either. Now, with my surprise, I have got an iPhone and I discovered Siri is working via Bluetooth (same old car)! More than that even Google Maps has an option to play the audio directions as if they were phone calls.

The main issue is that while Apple may fix the HDMI-CEC protocol according to a (maybe new or improved) standard, good luck with the televisions, that get their "firmware" updated every 3-6-12 months if ever. And usually introducing more bugs, at least in the case of Android TV for Sony Bravia.

Reactions: deanooh