Confused about the "sensitive" area of the Iphone4 antenna

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sirbrillopad, Jul 13, 2010.

1. sirbrillopad macrumors newbie

I'm not clear if the "antenna issue" is a function of just the spot on the left side where the two antenna meet or if its really a function of bridging in any way the left side of the phone with the whole bottom "antenna" piece with your hand.

I've heard accounts of simply put tape over that small black plastic area of the side and some accounts of having to coat the whole bottom and lower sides of the phone.

It would seem to me if its just a tiny area, a simple piece of metallic colored non conductive tape would fix the issue with minimal impact on the "design".

Can someone clarify the issue? I ask b/c I tend to touch the bottom of my phone when surfing the web as a hold it.

Many thanks

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's not a widespread issue. Only happens in low reception areas.

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Add to that fact that for many, the iP4's reception is noticeably better (assuming no deathgrip) but there are folks saying their reception is worse, even with a case. (I think there's another issue going on for those few, but the criticism get all lumped together)

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I will venture to say that can't possibly be true. Today I stopped in my local Apple store, which is in a large mall with full blast cell signal for all carriers in it. I tried bridging 3 different iPhone 4's. Bridged them lightly, and all of them dropped to 0 bars after bridging the antennas for about 30 seconds. I was surprised. But the proof was right there before my eyes.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I never take display products seriously. Anyone can mess with them. However, if you said you took out your own iPhone 4 in the same location and bridged them and it dropped to zero bars, then I would believe you.

6. sirbrillopad thread starter macrumors newbie

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Why would the 3 different display iPhones be any different? Their behavior was exactly that that I've seen in many Youtube videos where people are demonstrating this on their own personal phones. After I've seen it with my own two eyes, I can't really accept the denial that still seems to be lingering out there.