Confused about what I have already and what the heck I did

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Centropolis, May 20, 2010.

1. Centropolis macrumors newbie

I need some help here because I've spent 2 hours reading everything on the net about unlocking and jailbreaking and I am so confused about somethings.

I am running 3.1.2 (7D11) and Modem Firmware 05.11.07 right now.

My iPhone 3G was jailbroken with blackra1n after I upgraded my software to 3.1.2. I then followed some instructions on the internet and tried to unlock my phone. I ran the blackra1n app on my iPhone, clicked on sn0w to install it....and now apparently my iPhone is unlocked after 5 seconds. I would never be able to check until I find someone with a different carrier SIM card.

Anyway, what I want know is, if I upgrade to 3.1.3 through iTunes.....I am guessing I will lose the jailbreak? But will I lose the unlock as well? Will the 3.1.3 upgrade change my modem firmware to something newer that blocks any unlocking? (As far as I can find, there is no unlocking with any baseband that is newer than 05.11.07.)

If I just hit 'Restore' and not 'Update' in iTunes right now, am I just losing the jailbreak but it will still be unlocked? Or will iTunes upgrade my baseband in the background?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you restore to 3.1.3, you will lose your unlock and any way to unlock in the near future, since the baseband will be upgraded. You can still jailbreak the 3G, but you’ll be unjailbroke after the restore.

3. Centropolis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response!

But if I don't update to 3.1.3 and just click 'Restore' instead, because I am using 3.1.2, iTunes will restore me back to 3.1.2 'factory settings' but my unlocking from BEFORE Restore still exist right? So I can have an unlocked iPhone but not jailbroken?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you click restore you will go to 3.1.3 and you won’t be able to unlock and you will lose your unlock. Don’t do it.

5. anthdci macrumors 6502

apple checks the firmware when you do a restore, they only allow you to restore to 3.1.3 now regardless of what firmware your currently on. it is worth checking if your shsh blobs are saving in cydia, because if you have the 3.1.2 blob saved you can redirect the check to sauriks server and that will say 3.1.2 is ok and let you restore.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Another option would be to option-restore or shift-restore to a custom 3.1.3 firmware (made with PwnageTool). This will preserve your baseband and ability to unlock.