Confused about which version of Windows 8.1 to buy for bootcamp.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Avenger, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Avenger macrumors 6502a

I will be receiving a new Mac soon and would like to install Windows 8.1 on it via bootcamp. I see in the Microsoft Online Store there is a student download edition of 8.1 for $69.99 that says it is a full edition. Will that work? Also, I still have an official unopened Windows 8.0 upgrade retail disk that I haven't used yet. Can you still use that to do a full install? I see some old posts that say you can but I was wondering if it was still valid. Thanks.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The Student edition will work just fine.
    Just make sure you get 64-bit.
    The upgrade edition will probably work but you'll still have to jump through a few hoops after its installed because the upgrade key that you have wont work (without a little effort) on a clean install.

3. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info on the student edition. I see some older posts about doing it with a 8.0 upgrade edition so I may try that first since I already own the disk.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Isn't the student edition a windows upgrade, i.e., you already need a version of windows installed?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Assuming OP is a student, he/she could actually just sign up for a DreamSpark account and download Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro for free (basically Windows 8.1 Pro with all the extra stuff for installation in embedded systems).

6. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502a

It says "Full Version" on the picture of the box so I think it should be good.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

8. Gjwilly, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

He could but he'd be violating the TOS.

9. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502a

As a resolution, after I got the Windows 8.1 image, I was able to activate with the extra Windows 8 Pro update package I happened to own. If I have to do it on another computer, I'll try the student edition. Thanks for all the info.