Confused...Bootcamp install of Win7 (x64) on iMac (early 2008) possible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gooter, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Gooter macrumors member

Gooter

Hi,

I want to install Win7 x64 on a Bootcamp partition on my early 2008 Intel iMac (2.8ghz, 6gb ram, nvidia 8800m gts, Lion with no install dvd). I've been reading what I can find on the Internets and it seems this is possible even though the official Apple docs state that my iMac model does not support Win7 x64 via Bootcamp.

Below is the general overview of what I think I need to do to get it working. Am I on the right track? Thanks

1. Run Bootcamp Asst and start the process on the OSX Lion side.
    2. Create a drivers disk from the BC Asst utility since I don't have a Lion install disc
    3. Boot into Win7 x64 and get to a cmd prompt, run the following as admin to access the 64bit drivers, "cd drive letter of BC drivers disc:\ msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi"

2. SLAMdunkk macrumors newbie

Problems...

I've just done the same on a early 2008 Mac Pro. However I ran into some problems. I installed Lion on a new SSD, and kept the old OS - Snow Leopard, on the old disk. Then I had two 500 GB disk from an old NAS that I put in aswell. So I thought I would install Boot camp/Windows 7 on one of the 500 GB. But when I tried to install it from the Lion OS the DVD wouldn't spin up. Nothing. And then it would spin up enough for the installation to start, but when the computer restarted it wouldn't spin... :( I checked with other discs, no problem.

Then I tried to start Boot camp from the Snow Leopard OS, the old disc. No problem. It rebooted and installed itself fine on the 500 GB. So some bug with Lion OS on 2008 Mac Pro.

Other issue is that I have a GTX285 graphics card installed, and according to the system I have the latest drivers. But when I run Boot camp, start up and install Battlefield 3 it says my drivers are old. When I try to install new ones for the Windows partition it installs itself fine, but just when its finished both my screens go black. Computer running but no signal to monitors. Apple needs to update the bootcamp drivers to the latest... just so u know.