Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CGW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
I'm a long-time Windows user who occasionally uses macOS. I like using macOS but I find an aspect of app switching to be confusing compared to Windows. If, while repeatedly pressing Command-Tab to switch between apps, I select an app that is currently minimized, the app doesn't restore; i.e., it remains minimized. In Windows, the app is restored. I accidentally discovered that pressing the Option key before releasing Command-Tab causes the app to be restored. What's Apple's reasoning on this? Why does the app become restored only if the Option key is pressed?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'm a long-time Windows user who occasionally uses macOS. I like using macOS but I find an aspect of app switching to be confusing compared to Windows. If, while repeatedly pressing Command-Tab to switch between apps, I select an app that is currently minimized, the app doesn't restore; i.e., it remains minimized. In Windows, the app is restored. I accidentally discovered that pressing the Option key before releasing Command-Tab causes the app to be restored. What's Apple's reasoning on this? Why does the app become restored only if the Option key is pressed?
What if you want certain windows within an app to remain minimized while app switching. If they automatically popped up, and you did not want them to, then you would take the time to minimize them again.

I guess you could reverse it, and ask why doesn't Windows stay minimized when app switching.
[doublepost=1525900301][/doublepost]
I'm a long-time Windows user who occasionally uses macOS.
I will also add that I am a long time Mac, that is forced to use Windows for work.

I am currently using Windows 10, but have used 7 and XP in the past, and have found many things confusing when compared to the Mac side.

The things I like about Windows over Mac are few, and I could probably count them on one hand.

Reactions: CGW

brothman01

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2018
the application that you choose with cmd-tab is in the selected and in the foreground when you select it which is why the top menus change to the menus of that application.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
If you have a minimized app and you want to open it using cmd tab. Press option after you've selected it. I cmd tab and then slide my thumb thats on the cmd button to option.

CGW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your responses.

What if you want certain windows within an app to remain minimized while app switching. If they automatically popped up, and you did not want them to, then you would take the time to minimize them again.

I guess you could reverse it, and ask why doesn't Windows stay minimized when app switching.

In my (admittedly limited Mac) experience, when I press Cmd+Tab (potentially many times to select the desired app) I want to switch to that app without concern about whether the app is minimized or not. I find having to press Cmd+Tab again (potentially many times) and then also press the Option key to be an interruption to my workflow. Is there any indication in the Cmd+Tab window that an app is minimized ... other than having nothing happen when I select the app and take my fingers off the keys?

Is there a key sequence for minimizing all windows for an app?

There's different behavior for windows that are minimized and applications that are "hidden"

I'm not sure I understand. What's the difference between those two things?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm not sure I understand. What's the difference between those two things?

There's plenty of info on the web about "hide" and "minimize to dock". The best way to understand the difference is just try them. In most apps, hide is ⌘-H and Minimize is ⌘-M. The Hide (and Hide Others) command is also in the menu below the app name. Minimize would be useful if you're in one app, have several windows you're working with, and you only want to see certain windows and not the others.

Reactions: CGW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.