Confused by MMS and AT&T support's response (not "real" MMS related)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgamber, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I know all about the "real MMS" bit that's supposed to happen later this summer but in the meantime, it's my understanding that the phone is supposed to receive a message that says you've received a picture message and to view it, go to viewmymessages or something or another. I'm a little short on details because I've never gotten one in the year I've owned the iPhone. Not once, and not for a lack of picture messages. I actually used that feature quite a bit and people are sending them and I'm not receiving anything. When I heard that I should have at least gotten the message described above, I called AT&T support (this morning). The woman I spoke with said that while my account was correctly configured, some iPhones get the messages, some don't. Some don't get them all, others do. I asked "What's the difference? Isn't a phone a phone?" and she said no, it depended on the build date, software version, radio, etc, which sounded like "I don't know, now go away" line to me. This isn't 1992, it either works or it doesn't. So what's the real story with this? I keep a Fuze with a PAYG card for the sole reason of receiving MMS messages. If the iPhone is supposed to do this and I've been shelling out all that extra money every month, I may be a tad pissed off at AT&T.

2. Cointreau macrumors member

The iphone IS supposed to alert you to messages with multimedia attachments.

They will send you a message that says "<some person> sent you a multimedia message. Go to www.viewmymessage.com/1 (or 2), enter the username: <some username> and password <some password> to view your message."

I got them all the time from my wife, so if I were you, I would be upset. Ask for your money back or upgraded service or something, because, as you rightly point out, it should work as advertised.

Or, enable MMS on your iPhone through AT&T following one of the guides posted and with the appropriate settings in your network services. It does work (and is nice not to have to go to that stupid website anymore to see pictures of my kids while I'm at work).

Good luck!

3. ~Phi macrumors regular

I used to receive the text to go to "viewmymessage.com" with my original iphone, but when I upgraded to the 3g the notifications stopped. Very annoying.

4. SimplyBlue macrumors member

Guess I'm not the only one with this problem. I even called them once on this months ago but never got a resolution. Got the spiel that MMS was not supported.

5. mgamber thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Eh....I tried the hacks on the 3G before getting the 3GS and they never worked also so I gave up on it. I don't care if the messages are unwieldy and awkward as long as they show up. It was that they fell into a black hole that bothered me.

BUT...about 5 minutes after clicking "Submit Reply", I got a message from AT&T that I had a multimedia message. I sent myself another one from the PAYG phone I used solely for MMS and it also arrived. Then the same woman called me back, said they had changed my account configuration and did I receive the message? I said I had and that was that. Now I should probably check to make sure I'm not getting a $150,000 bill next month, but it's a lot better than nothing!

6. mgamber thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Oh, I should also add that she was very quick to tell me how the "real MMS" software is on the phone but they are not allowed to activate it until later this summer. I had to explain to her and the first person I talked to (general support, I guess) more than once that I wasn't after that, I just wanted something, anything, that told me someone had sent me a message. They must be getting really tired of the "entitled crowd" about now.

7. xcrunner macrumors regular

I wouldn't care except for the fact that I can't even receive the viewmymessage text because I'm on the family unlm txt plan. So instead of even letting me know mms messages just never get sent to the phone.

8. mgamber thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I'm on an unlimited family text plan also yet someone did something and where it didn't work before, now it does. Might be worth calling and complaining and not trying to be greedy with new features they don't want to deal with.