Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Thanks for reading this. I have a smart playlist with several "rules". One rule is that the playlist will not include songs "last played" within one month. Likewise, the playlist will not include songs "last skipped" within one month. (In other words, it don't want to hear a song which has popped up during the last month, regardless of whether I listened to it or skipped it.)

What's weird is that the "last played" and "last skipped" do not reflect times I have played/skipped the song on the iPhone. Is it supposed to be that way? Do plays on the iPhone not register in iTunes? Why is that?

Thanks.

scratchyvinyl

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Yes, my data also gets updated on iTunes after listening to songs on the iPhone. Such data only gets updated when you have an iPod/iPhone set to sync with your computer. I've found that manually managing songs on my other iPods does not transfer last played and other such data.

(Another example is that I often rate unrated songs on my manually-managed iPod, and after rating songs on my iPod, they don't transfer over to those same songs in my iTunes library).

So I don't see why your last played/last skipped data doesn't transfer over to your iTunes library since the only way to get media onto an iPhone is to sync it with some playlists in iTunes.

WhiskeySpider

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
"Last Played" does sync. "Last Skipped" does not. If anyone can find a way to sync "Last Skipped" please say how.

"Last Skipped" is a great option for making playlists really smart and tuned to your listening habits... it's a shame it's not working.

jjamesv

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Well, yeah, of course it registers when you sync it back to your PC/Mac, but what he's talking about is "live updating", and I would agree that that doesn't seem to be working now.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Thanks, jjamesv. That is in fact what I am talking about, although since posting it the original post, it seems to be working correctly, albeit sporadically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.