confused maybe about to be new apple watch owner, got some questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by madeirabhoy, Sep 15, 2017.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

never had one before and still not convinced i need one...

for me, its going to be about, having a different watch face when i want, reading messages and emails, controlling music when walking to work. maybe controlling philips hue. a calculator on my wrist.

im not a fitness sort of guy.

part of me thinks should i just save money and get the series 1, part of me thinks series 2 will be discounted, part of me thinks best to go with the best so series 3.

and then i think well if im spending all that money should i pay extra for lte just in case it comes to portugal. but i reckon i dont need that.

questions, sorry if im being thick.

1. any positive or negative comments about what i think it will do for me?
    2. can you actually store music on the phone, as my iPhone 6 is only 16gb...
    3. are third party straps decent? amazon has them for 10 pounds. i want a leather strap and i cant afford hermes.
    4. what else could the watch do for a normal person like me

2. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

I’ll try to answer some of your questions.

1. The Apple Watch is definitely a “want” and not a “need” — I think you’ll love having it once you get used to it. I definitely like having it on and I notice when it’s not there. It’s great for notifications and basic, short interactions as you mentioned — messages, emails, controlling music, quick Siri commands.

2. You can sync playlists to your watch by using the Watch app on your iPhone.

3. Third party straps are decent. I almost never pay more than $15 for a strap here in the US. I’ve had a few of them fall apart but for the price, I’m not surprised.

4. The watch is nice to give you some perspective on your activity levels, even if you’re not into fitness. The stand reminders and activity rings at least show me when I’m being exceptionally lazy. It also helps keep your attention on the real world rather than getting sucked into your phone when you go to look at a message. It reduces the distractions for me. I spend less time on my phone now.

3. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

What halfway2anywhere said sums up the Watch pretty well. Especially the point about distractions. You tend to only use your phone when it’s important. Having the notifications on your wrist with a quick look you can see if it’s worth responding to or ignoring for awhile and don’t have to pull your phone out every time.

You can probably get a Series 2 at a decent price now and that’s a good starting point for someone on the fence. Avoid the Series 0 & 1 they’re just to slow and the lack of water proofing will annoy you.

4. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

I use mine for messages, some phone calls and its great for meeting appointments as i don't have to check my phone or my laptop to see where my next meeting is ...oh and its good for for checking the time :) But for me, the best thing is apple pay. Its great not having to get my phone or wallet out to pay for stuff. Just a twist of the wrist and its done.

I sold my watch today as my Ceramic series 3 is on its way and already i miss it my AW2. I am wearing my Rolex which i normally wear for special occasions and not having an Apple watch on my wrist makes me feel that something is missing.

If I were you, get a Series 2 sport as prices are good on those and if you dont like it then you can sell it on and wont be too much out of pocket.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree A lot of what you said. I think the Apple Watch does so much in terms of notifications, fitness, customization, that Watch really does become a part of you and it becomes a personal product just as our iPhones are. But I agree, If someone can find a new Series 2 for on sale or discounted, that's still a great watch if someone wasn't interested in LTE.