Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfeels

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Hey Guys,

I've been looking around and haven't really found an answer for this. So I'm looking for help from people that may have a past experience with the 4S. I am with Verizon and don't have any upgrade till next year. I plan on buying the phone at full price. Are you able to pre-order on Friday purchasing the phone this way?

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Hey Guys,

I've been looking around and haven't really found an answer for this. So I'm looking for help from people that may have a past experience with the 4S. I am with Verizon and don't have any upgrade till next year. I plan on buying the phone at full price. Are you able to pre-order on Friday purchasing the phone this way?

yes.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Buy the phone from the Apple store unlocked. It will cost $650-$850 depending on the storage capacity you choose.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Buy the phone from the Apple store unlocked. It will cost $650-$850 depending on the storage capacity you choose.

Will unlocked phones work on the CMDA carriers? I'd double check that before you plunk down the cash. I was always under the impression that with Verizon and Sprint you had to have a branded phone to use on that carrier and the unlocked phones were only for AT&T and T-Mobile or the other GSM carriers.

bfeels

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010

After reading this I went to go through the process with buying the 4S just to see. I had the option of choosing "buy the phone unlocked and contract free" So what I did was I just clicked Verizon and then it asked my to check my eligibility. When I did this it told me I wasn't up for an upgrade till next year and it changed the phone to full price. $549. Which is fine I plan on getting the 32gb iPhone 5. Whats the difference of doing it this way and buying it unlocked?

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012

I think the fully unlocked phones you are referring to only work on GSM carriers, not CDMA. Basically, fully unlocked and CDMA are mutually exclusive. At least, that is my understanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.