Confused,SSD in Caddy or in place of old HD? (DIY Fusion)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Qwerty11, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

I keep reading different things about where the SSD goes when doing a DIY fusion drive. Some say the SSD goes in the caddy that replaces the optical drive while others say to put the SSD where the old HD lived and put a 2.5" HD in the caddy. Could someone please clarify which is best?

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

You can do either; it's up to you. I think both OWC and iFixit make kits to replace your optical drive with an SSD or HD (you buy the actual drive; the kit takes care of mounting and connectors).

OTOH, if you want to keep the optical drive in place, you can just swap the HD out for the SSD. Thing is you'll have to control the disk drive fan if you do that because the stock HD has a temp sensor on it, and when that gets unplugged (as will happen with an SSD install) the fans go full speed. I don't have a DIY Fusion Drive, but I did replace my HD with an SSD, and I bought HDD Fan Control; works like a champ. I think there are some free apps out there that will do the same for you, but maybe not as user friendly. Finally, you can also short the connector on the temp sensor. I didn't know this was possible when I did my install and probably would have gone this route, but oh well. Check this link for more:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808178

3. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok. I had rather use a regular HD and add the SDD in the optical drive caddy. Can I transfer over the optical drive heat sensor to the SSD and everything will work a-ok? What about the optical drive fan. Should I remove it?

4. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

You won't be able to transfer the temp sensor because your SSD won't have one; only Apple's stock SSDs and HDs come with them.

Not sure about removing the optical drive fan; haven't heard of anyone doing that.