Confused: Taliban Peace Talks???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...f_Taliban_Peace_Talks_With_Afghanistan_And_US

WTF? I'm confused. Isn't the Taliban just a bunch of terrorists? If they want peace, how about disbanning and stop killing people. Bam! Peace! Its not like they run a country that we are at war with and need to start relations with again. What could we possibly be in negotiations with them about except for maybe amnesty for some of their leaders?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So when we leave the Taliban will assume control again? Whats the point of soldiers dying over there then? :confused:

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

There is no point. One leadership of certain countries in the Mid-East are just as bad as the last. As long as religion is the true government, we need to get the f out of there and stay out. Or really do something to change things. Half-assed, middle of the road stuff just doesn't work...

4. citizenzen Suspended

You can't expect the Taliban to disband anymore than I can expect Republicans to disband. They are a socio-political faction, a population of Afghanis who have as much right to their opinion and influence as anybody else.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are we talking nukes here? How about a spot of self-determination instead, you know, like it says in the UN Charter we all signed up to.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm on-board, as long as it includes all their citizens, male and female alike.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not for you to say, and frankly, I don't suppose you being "on board" will influence their thinking all that much.

8. citizenzen Suspended

Let the record show that iJohnHenry favors the elimination of over 29 million men, women, and children.

Sweet. :rolleyes:

9. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No nukes. Just crazy **** that would never really happen in real life. Kill all the male, religious leaders. Let the women take over for a generation. Burn the all religious schools, temples, etc to the ground. But not nukes. That would be crazy!

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think he was referring to my second option, not my first. Either that, or they've really messed up his medication.

11. citizenzen Suspended

You might just be right!

That's such a good idea, let's do it to America too!

Ahhh ... progress. :eek:

Phew.

I'd almost lost what little faith I had left in the human race.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So you would destroy their culture and their main means of education? For what? Would you put anything in their place?

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's not you, or me, it's him.

Oh, skunk, so you prefer survival of the fittest to prevail??

14. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

In my crazy, hypothetical, never gonna happen plan: I would try to destroy their ability to continue practicing their religion but I would make sure that the women and children and men would always be reminded of what their wonderful religion did to their country. Build museums with exhibits teaching them how women were stoned to death for holding hands with men (true story), etc. etc. I would build up their schools and their business and make sure that all (male or female) had an equal opportunity to learn and work and grow.

15. citizenzen Suspended

Could somebody please find some example in history where "destroy[ing] their ability to continue practicing their religion" proved to be a good plan of action?

Thuggees?

Cannibals?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any chance of a plan which doesn't involve a ridiculous amount of bias? Christians have been every bit as brutal. Are you going to suggest we destroy all their churches too, and ban their religion?

As is often the case, I have no idea what you're on about.

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

And for those keeping score at home - yes, we have a new land-speed record for both avoiding saying something negative about the Taliban while simultaneously comparing them to Republicans.

You sly dog, citizenzen. Post #3, even. I'm starting to think the PRSI is more than just a hobby.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh, :cool:.

I liked their depiction in Gunga Din. :D

19. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Probably can't. But without being PC, can you honestly tell me the people of the middle east are better off under the religious rule they have today then if they didn't live under those conditions?

I've asked this before: how come everytime someone dares to point out how bad Islamic rule is right now in some countries, someone has to say but what about Christians? Haven't they been just as brutal in the past? When someone points out an evil in this world, why do some people have to say, but what about that other time, when those other people were just as bad? But to answer your question... I would love to see people wake up, realize the lies that ALL religions are and stop practicing this crazy crap.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not all of them are crazy, you know.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Because it's easier to yell "They did it first!!", or "They did it better!!".

Continuing along that path will provide no remedy.

22. citizenzen Suspended

Is it now PC to let other cultures evolve as they see fit?

I am sooo PC.

Some of us think of it as a calling. ;)

23. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm painting with a very broad brush to make my point. I don't mean literally crazy, either. Just misguided, perhaps.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You don't have to be religious to be either crazy or misguided.

25. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

To answer your question, is it better to let them evolve as they see fit if that includes stoning women to death for holding hands with a man? Now, can you answer my original question: can you honestly tell me the people of the middle east are better off under the religious rule they have today then if they didn't live under those conditions?