Confused whether to backup from iTunes or iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shawnwich, Sep 19, 2012.

1. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

I have a 4S, and I'm going to be getting my 5 on Friday.

My question is... am I supposed to backup to my 5 from iCloud, or from iTunes?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Either or.

If you sync with iTunes, then you'll have the back up on your computer. I personally go with iTunes, but for no particular reason, other then that's what I've done in the past.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Backup to iTunes for now. Restoring from iCloud on Friday might be problematic since bunches of other people will be doing the same thing.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This.

iCloud is usually just fine but I'd avoid it this week.

5. shawnwich thread starter macrumors 6502

shawnwich

I guess my reasoning for this post mainly comes from the fact that one of my friends once told me back a back up from iCloud is only for a specific device… Meaning you shouldn't use an iCloud backup from a 4S on a 5?

Is this true? I definitely did this last year, and he told me thats why I had some problems (stock apps freezing etc)?

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Use both.

I keep iCloud backup turned on so when I get home and put my phone in the dock it will automatically backup. Every once in a while I will open iTunes and manually backup by right-clicking on my phone.

This might seem a little excessive, but they serve different purposes. If I ever have to restore my phone and I am away from my computer, I can just restore from iCloud. However, if I am at home I can just restore from iTunes.

Remember that restoring from iCloud backups can take a long time if you do not have a fast wireless connection.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As slow as iTunes is, doing the reinstall via iCloud will be even slower because of the congestion. Also, you only get 5GB of free data.

Personally I use iTunes. I like to maintain my own data and I don't really see the benefit of wireless syncing right now based on current speed and cost.

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

No, it's not true. Restoring a backup from 4S to an iPhone 5 will work just fine. Some people like to start from scratch and setup the phone as new but that means you will need to redo all of your settings. Personally, I have never done that. As a matter of fact, I'm still running a backup dating back to the original iPhone 1 and have not had any issues at all.

9. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

This. I insist on having both. It's very seldom I use the iCloud backup, as it's slower to install apps (I have A LOT) even over our fast WIFI connection... It's a good rule of thumb to have both, at least in my eyes.

10. shawnwich thread starter macrumors 6502

shawnwich