confused with this iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MicHawk, Oct 8, 2013.

1. MicHawk macrumors newbie

I have an iphone through work. Free. I got an iphone 4 a while ago, it did not have the option for "personal hotspot." anywhere in the settings app. Believe me, I looked long and hard.

I got a replacement phone which I was TOLD was a 4s. I assumed it was because i saw the hotspot option right there out in the open in the settings app. So I hear Siri is available on the 4s so I go to see how I can start using that - long story short, it's just a 4 not 4s (number on back).

So I'm wondering - Why is this option in this iphone 4 but not my last one? what changed? exact same phone, exact same plan, exact same number. All I did was backup/sync my last phone and copied all that to my new one. Everything from the settings to icon placement was the same but now I have more options... But it's the same phone? Annoyed and frustrated. This makes no sense. How can I tell which phone I have and which options/features are supposed to come with it?

2. fraktur macrumors member

Does it have the same operating system version?

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Are you sure it's the same plan? The hotspot is a carrier setting and it isn't visible if it isn't on your plan. Add a tethering plan and the toggle appears.

4. fraktur macrumors member

That was my other thought as well. Mine was only, clearly, available after I switched to T Mobile which has hotspot included with my family plan.

5. MicHawk thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't changed anything with my plan. I don't even know where I would go to do that. I work for my carrier (hence the free) and all that billing/plan stuff is automatic and taken care of. All I did was take my sim out of my old phone and put it into the new one. both an iPhone 4.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Newer OS version?

7. MicHawk thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I did update to iOS 7 right after transferring everything over. I don't know why upgrading the OS would add/change something as significant as that.

The new phone was kind of a "hand-me-down" from another employee who was leaving the company. He's the one who told me it was a 4S and I took his word for it and assumed that's why he had tethering and I didn't. Turns out it was a 4 afterall so IDK why his had it before and mine didn't. He didn't have iOS 7 before giving it to me - it was wiped. We would have had the exact same plan. Same phone, same plan but he had tethering. Mystery..

8. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I've had an iPhone 4 with personal hotspot the whole time. I don't know why you wouldn't have had the option.