Congratulations Colin Kaepernick for embarrassing yourself again.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Nov 16, 2016.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

First you embarrass yourself by not standing for the Anthem, and again helping the 49ers to a 1-8 record and a pass/completion stat of just over 50%, and a QB rating of 60.8. I guess Tomi Lahren had it right when she agreed you should indeed sit..."on the bench".

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because he doesn't vote?

Check this out ...
    I didn't watch the video. But it would appear as if she has some unpleasant things to say about Kaepernick because he's never registered or voted. So long as she's willing to apply that same judgement to the other 42.5% of eligible voters (close to 100 million Americans) who also didn't vote, then that would at least be consistent.

But there is no requirement to vote. That's a decision for each and every eligible voter to make for themselves. And I'm not going to hammer the guy over his personal choice.

3. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

It's less about him not voting, and more about his hypocrisy. Colin will complain and stir up controversy all day long about issues that he claims are important, yet he won't even go to the voting booth to TRY and make a change in Washington.

He's a hypocrite.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The two things have nothing to do with each other. One is permitted to complain about anything they want. That is called free speech. One is also permitted to not vote.

The only reason you two want to call Kaepernick a hypocrite is you don't agree with the issue he's complaining about.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

No, it's not simply because he doesn't vote. The problem many have with Kaepernick right now is that on the one hand he kneels during the National Anthem and calls for change, but on the other he won't implement change (through a vote) when he has a chance.

Commentator Stephen A. Smith had a good rant about this, and I believe he's spot on.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What does Washington have to do with police brutality?

7. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Ohhh I saw this the other day. I think that Smith said it incredibly well. Sometimes it's nice to just cut through the crap and call it like it is. "Free speech this, free speech that," blah blah. No. Kaepernick acts like a spoiled child.

8. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I would say that a president that will nominate at least one SCOTUS Justice, and possibly three, will make Washington directly linked to police brutality as more and more trials will have to reach that level in the judiciary.
    Plus, you forget that on the ballot there are usually a plethora of candidates for other roles, including sheriffs, and judges, and state congressmen etc.

Voting is ***** important in the US, it saddens me to see how many people don't see it.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm going to say this...

I absolutely defended him when he was kneeling during the anthem. I thought it was a respectful, peaceful protest that definitely got his point across.

But, to me, it's inexcusable that he chose not to vote. You can't just talk the talk if you aren't going to walk the walk. This may be unpopular among those who agree with his message, but he has lost all credibility with me.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My vote didn't lead to the change I wanted this year.

But regardless, if Kaepernick was on your side, this would be a complete non-issue.

Rant all you want. Call him a hypocrite. But the outrage is transparently political.

12. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Perhaps he didn't vote because none of the candidates represented his values?

That's also true for me, but I vote anyway. Can't say I blame him though.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You can vote for a third candidate to send a message, as weak as it might be. Have your vote counted AGAINST the other two. A non-vote is not counted at all.

14. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

The irony is that if Kaepernick wasn't who he is, no one would give two craps about it. But because he's in the NFL, some people believe he should stay in that box and not be allowed to express himself.

Nowhere in the NFL is it stated that he's required to stand up for the national Anthem. In a way, his protest by kneeling down is causing the desired affect, which is the point in the first place.

I don't see how voting directly affects the issue of police brutality, it's something that has to be implemented from the ground up, unfortunately now with Trump in office, we're going to be taking a step backwards, specially if Giuliani is placed at the helm. Stop & frisk, profiling and all those other unethical practices are going to make a comeback.

15. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The same can be said about the third party candidates. I doubt any of the third party candidates represented his values. Position wise I agree more with Jill Stein than the other candidates, but I'm far left of her. I didn't vote for her for two reasons .

1. She has no idea what she's talking about. Her positions are good IMO, but she needs to understand how things work before she claims she is going to reform them. See her position on student loan bailouts and central banks

2. I live in a swing state and voted against Trump, not for Hillary.

16. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I disagree with you on supporting Kaepernick's protest, but I agree with you on this here.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They might not represent his values, but they still count as a non-R/non-D vote. It's a "I'd rather have this guy/gal than both of you". By not voting he became non-existent.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As I pointed out, there's nearly 100 million Americans who don't vote. Voter turnout—especially when it doesn't involve the presidency—is woefully low. So unless his message was, "get out an vote," the fact that he doesn't has nothing to with his cause or his ability to speak out against it.

But now that I've had my say, please feel free to condemn Kaepernick as being a terrible person. At this point, I'd hate to stand in the way of anyone's venting and passing judgement.

19. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

[​IMG]

20. samcraig macrumors P6

In this country, you have first amendment rights. You also have the choice in whether to exercise your right to vote. Those are two very different things and one isn't a hypocrite for taking advantage of one and not the other. I know plenty of people who have strong opinions of this country and what direction it should go in that didn't vote. That doesn't make them a hypocrite given that they didn't think or want any of the candidates. That also doesn't mean they can't still be vocal in the future about how this country is run.

Fortunately - in America, you never give up those rights (assuming you're not in jail :) )

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Was only the Presidential race on his ballot or did he have some local candidates and/or resolutions in which a single vote has a higher impact?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---

My opinion is always right! ;)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    The first amendment is in the same legal document (attached) that limits the powers of those whom we vote.
    The two things are strongly connected.

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

2 years ago, when we had the election for Governor here in Texas, I worked my ass off to register and get people to vote. A total grass roots effort in Texas for Democrats.

I was absolutely PISSED when I saw the numbers after election day. Texas has one of the worst voter turnout rates in the nation, and it's so flipping frustrating because so many people complained about the process, and our representation, and in the end they decided it wasn't worth it for them to make the trip to vote.

Voting isn't just about the Presidency. I would argue that the state/local positions are more important because they have more of an impact on a lot of the things that effect us day to day.

I don't think he's a terrible person. But like it or not, these guys set an example. Apathy is one of the largest reasons for not voting, and I don't think we should celebrate it.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Thank you! Thank you!
    Even if we disagree on which box to check, what you say is completely true. It pisses me off when cities with millions of people have just a few thousands of voters going to the polls for mayoral, or state elections. It's wrong on so many levels.

24. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

You might want to watch the video before commenting on what is in it :). You can even fast forward to the end where she tells him he should be on the bench. And, yes, she does have many unpleasant things to say about him, and I would hope so as she seems to understand what the Anthem stands for, as well as, that he should be on the bench. She called it after game number one :)

25. samcraig macrumors P6

A friend of mine loves Tomi. I find that she is often a hypocrite who only presents partial facts that support her rant. I don't find her very insightful. Just noisy.