Congress keeps making money, for themselves

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n-congress-and-constituents.html?ref=politics

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/us/politics/economic-slide-took-a-detour-at-capitol-hill.html

Attached Files:

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I cannot imagine a democratic republic in which the top legistative, judicial and executive positions are not generally filled by the nation's wealthier and influential citizens. How could it be otherwise?

It is the current extent (rather than the presence of) inequality that I am concerned about.

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

How can Congress say they want to help the general public when they have no clue the lives the average american lives. They are going on expensive vacations while the common family suffers.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I can tell you right now that it's been this way since the 1780s. Political class struggle is endemic. The lot of the average American citizen has fluctuated over the years, but it's never been the case that Congress has been filled with working- or middle-class people.

It's true that most of congress can't image what it's like to be middle class.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

That is why Washington is so out of touch with America, the people in charge have no clue what is going on. We need middle class people in charge of the country who know what is going on with their neighbors.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I hear you - but how do you get middle class people to govern without turning them into upper-class people?

And what do all the wealthy people do in the meantime? All citizens must be permitted to participate in government, otherwise democracy is lost. And yet, if that is the case, those citizens with the most resources will always have the most influence.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Am I correct in assuming the members of Congress have to hold their investment portfolios in blind trusts??

Is so, someone is using a sighted guide.

A double blind trust might be in order.

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The reason the rich get into politics is because they can afford it. Every American has the right to run for public office so the way to do this is cap the amount of money a person can spend when running while also providing a minimum for everyone to use if they so choose.

Political ads become public service announcements where they cannot be charged for advertising time. Give every person who wants to run a budget that is funded from the government and that money has to be used to fund a campaign and nothing else. Take the money advantage away from the rich and level the playing field.

----------

Congress is allowed to use insider information to gain an edge and make more money while in office.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Outlaw the following

A. Lobbying.
    B. Paid speeches by politicians in office.
    C. For the duration of public service. NO association and/or ownership in ANY corporation. And I mean big corporations. You know what I mean. I don't believe corporations are people.
    D. Gifts of any kind.

And the list goes on.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only if they are looking down the barrel of a gun.

It ain't gonna happen. Look how The System handled the OWS crowd.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think caps on campaign spending should be a high priority. There shouls also be much more stringent rules on the amount of money/goods/services any private corporation should be allowed to contribute to a campaign.

As for keeping Congress from doing business while in office, I like the idea but that would be tantamount to asking them to vote themselves a massive paycut. And this is when human nature (greed and selfishness, to be precise) would immediately kill any progress.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ok, not too surprising. The rich are getting richer, and congress is a sample from the population heavily biased towards the rich.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Except it would remove the riff-raff from the process, and allow some people with true dedication a shot at the top.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, look, I'm so rich you can't look!

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Source: CNN Money.

Attached Files:

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

they are the only ppl that can really steal money legally if you know wat I mean!

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The guy has millions of dollars of homes, and he was living in his son's unfinished basement so he could be a registered voter in a certain district?

Isn't that voter fraud? If so, that's the guy the GOP is probably going to have as their nominee?

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Diane Rehm was contending recently that actually a lot of people do arrive in Congress in more of middle class trappings at first, but they quickly become wealthy (maybe 1%ers, but definitely very affluent) as a result of what they do with their office.

I think Congress and the President should receive adequate compensation, and I don't see a need to try and impoverish them (nor do I think this will "work" -- rather, it will create nasty "unforeseen" consequences). I do think more regulation of financial use of their position would be wise, however, and I also think some of the retirement structures are excessive, although honestly, the latter is a tiny portion of our financial problem.