Congressman Kucinich is right now filing 35 articles of impeachment against Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Jun 9, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Even as I am writing this, I am watching C-Span, where Congressman Dennis Kucinich is reading 35 counts of impeachment against Bush. Stand-by for details and transcript, when it becomes available. He is making an ironclad case - very detailed with full references included. It is great viewing. The time is 7:38 PM PDT. If you are quick, you can watch the last several articles.

Update to follow.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Finally.

Now let's see how quickly Pelosi can quash them.

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I lost my electricity, right after making my first post. So, I missed the end of C-Span. I was able to find a couple brief articles about it. I think we shall hear quite a bit about it tomorrow. You comments about Pelosi are well founded, as you will see. However, she does not have the authority to block this, although she may create an obstacle in the road. The articles Kucinich read were non-ambiguous and backed by strong, documented evidence. It would be impossible to just dismiss them. The only reason for her to block it would be, 'she wants what she wants and she wants it when she wants it'. I am not sure that would fly. The last time this was brought up, there was not such a compelling case and as much evidence as there is now. I do believe she will not be the next speaker.

5. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of our current president, but I also don't actively hate him or encourage the smear and hate campaigns. In fact, I voted for him... twice. I would have preferred someone else, but those options weren't on the table for me. I think Gore would have done a lot of great things if the Congress allowed him, but there's no doubt about it for me... Kerry didn't offer anything for me to go on. He was mainly a man of anti-positions, and I can't vote just for the anti-...

However much we dislike the war in Iraq, impeaching a president is an incredibly serious move. We got to have serious, hard core evidence of actual crimes committed, not just evidence of things we dislike or strongly disapprove of. If Bush can be linked to directly ordering the execution of commands which are clearly established as illegal, there are possible grounds for impeachment. The reasons that even the Democrats won't move on the issue is simple: there are not sufficient grounds. Besides, if they do it to him over something like this, the Republicans will turn around and do it to them too. Politics are like a teetor-totter... one day you're up on the top, next day you're down on the bottom. If you kick your opponents while they're down... they'll kick you the next time they're up. Just that simple.

Clinton was impeached, but the impeachment did not follow through to full results (a president is said to be "impeached" even if it doesn't result in removal from office). Clinton was impeached because of 100% clarity that he violated a serious law -- he committed perjury. Ultimately it was not sufficient grounds to remove him from office.

Even IF the impeachment process begins... there is no chance it would result in the removal of President Bush. Now Nixon... there's a case where an impeachment would have very likely ended in his removal. That's precisely why he stepped down, too.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It would be a dumb move by the democrates to go after this. It is not like they do not have enough of a mess to deal with trying to heal the party so to speak because of Hillary and Obama campaigns.

This just adds more fuel to the fire.
    Also it just turn into another huge waste of money and make things worse than they already are.
    By the time anything is complete Bush would be out of Office any how and all it would do is waste money. Make confidences in the US dollar and economy drop even more and so on. Going after this is even a quicker way to lose my vote.

7. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

What they have have 'enough to mess with' is all the investigations of the other WH investigations going on. The administration has committed so many crimes, we almost need two congresses to deal with all of their crimes. And, the Democratic Party does not need much 'healing', just a short transition, which is already happening. It is the republican party that is in shambles.

Based on the history of your posts, it seems dubious that you are considering voting Democratic.

8. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You did not see the articles for impeachment. 35 articles, which in each case was sufficient grounds in and of itself. Bush is the most corrupt President in American history. He has completely under-minded the Constitution of the United States and principals of democracy. He is despised by the rest of the world, and virtually every country view America, under his leadership as one of the world's most threatening countries. He has reduced America to major threat to world peace. The vast majority of this Country despise him. He is a criminal, plain and simple.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Congress is filled with the same bought off politicians and half of them are still republican meaning they will sell out anyone including this country for the $$$.

I think this is great though because Congress didnt want to hold Bush and his Draft dodgers accountable for anything.

The President was sworn to uphold the Constitution instead he has attacked it at every chance. Thats Treason.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, lets see the trouble we would be in with Cheney in charge until the end of the year. :eek:

Though if we can get Pelosi in there quick enough, we can blame everything on the last person in charge, even if they were there for only months. Sort of like we did for Enron.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cheney is as guilty or more so since he was directly responsible for the outing of Plame through Rove & Libbey.
    What a sorry bunch of draft dodging false Patriots. Sorry indeed.

Ill predict the Republicans wont control any branch of our govt for the next 10 years after these crooks leave Washington.

12. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Well, history allows us to look back with 20/20 vision. Bush's two terms are almost up, and yet here we are, still alive, no nuclear war, no end of the world, no dissolution of all ties to the US by the UN .. or hardly any ties at all.

After he's gone, the doomdays sayers will feel just a little bit dumber for having proclaimed the horribleness, and yet it just doesn't come to be. The American military has had it's hands in pies all over the world, and this was long before Bush, and will be longer after him. It was true under the Republicans before him, and true under the Democrats before him as well. He stepped it up quite bit with the war in Iraq, but the American foreign policy-military marriage won't end for a long time; having bases all over the world with servicemen and women active all over the world makes it too easy and too simple a solution... at least, it seems so at first.

If all of the 35 indictments were true, and if each one were truly worthy of an impeachment on its own, it would have already happened. It's been debated, and found wanting.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Truth has little to do with this, what does is a house full of bought off paid for politicians who did nothing for 8 years while this administration took us into a false war and lied to get us into it. Trillion dollars, 4,000 dead Americans,150,000 dead Iraqi's and Gas is $4.00 a gallon.

Only reason were still there is to save face for those draft dodgers. There is Nothing in Iraq for any American to die for.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Care to point us to a link?

No WMDs is enough for me. Starting a completely illegal war is enough for me as well. Wiretapping the American people is another. And there are 32 more? And Clinton only had one, and it was lying about sex?

Come on- you know damn well Bush has had a nice, Republican congress to protect him this whole time. Only recently has it become mostly democratic, and not enough so to get the guy for what he's done.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

While I agree in principle with Kucinich, I think it's bad politics, and that's why Pelosi opposes it.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I think it is surprising Pelosi doesn't support it. Seeing how everyone in Washington is out to increase their power, it would benefit Pelosi if Bush and Cheney were ousted. She would become the first female president though she will only be in office for 7 months.

17. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Until you have actually read the 35 articles, you have no credibility. However, anyone who has been paying attention over the past 7+ years, should be able to understand the vast criminal record of this administration. If you choose to live in denial, that is your affair, but you are just peddling an uniformed opinion (actually it is a position since it lacks any merit).

18. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I would agree with you if Bush was not planning to attack/invade Iran. That changes things somewhat, in my opinion. I would preferred to see him tried for treason after he was out of office.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Is that really how bad things have to get before you care?

Honestly, if impeachment proceedings were to so tie the Administration's hands they could not get away with invading Iran as a going-away present, I frankly wouldn't care if the process completes before January or not.

Color me doubtful anything will move forward, though.

20. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I understand what's going on in the minds of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

1. Don't aggrivate the Bush Administration who has all of these contingency plans in place to usurp authority (Patriot Act, Homeland Security, etc)

2. If you Impeach Bush, you're running the risk of putting an ex Halliburton CEO as President.

If you can't impeach an entire branch of the government then there really is no reason to proceed. Instead, I believe John Conyers is headed down the right path of condemning the Administration on the record and open things up for litigation down the road. Kucinich got greedy and he should've waited for the McClellan testimony truth be told.

21. buffalo macrumors 65816

Instead of wasting time trying to impeach a president that will be out of office in seven months, how about Congressman Kucinich and Congress as a whole work to solve some of our country's current problems... Surely working on the economy, or lowering fuel prices, or figuring out what to do in Iraq is more important.

22. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

My thing is, attack/invade Iran...with what? Mercenaries?

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They are also thinking of impeaching Cheney as well. Which will then put Pelosi into the white house.

I bet that is why she opposes it. So if it happens and if both Bush and Cheney are ousted, Pelosi is seen as not doing it for her own personal gain.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Too little, too late... those two idiots already have our country in shambles and in a deep hole.

25. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

All of that is connected with getting Bush out of office I'm assuming. The Legislative branch is handcuffed to do anything with that administration still in power.