Congressman says it’s OK not to sell homes to gays

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 25, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/...rt-of-realtors/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“Every homeowner should be able to make a decision not to sell their home to someone (if) they don’t agree with their lifestyle,” Rohrabacher told an Orange County Association of Realtors delegation at a May 16 meeting in Washington, D.C., according to Wayne Woodyard, a former Orange County Realtor president who was at the event.

On Thursday, Rohrabacher confirmed the accuracy of the sentiment, and added that homeowners should have the right to “choose who they do business with.”

“We’ve drawn a line on racism, but I don’t think we should extend that line,” Rohrabacher said.

OK, how would one know someone didn’t sell them their house because they were gay unless they specifically said so? I doubt people have for sale signs on their house that say heterosexuals only. Having said that I think Rohrabacher is a complete tool and the sooner he’s out of Congress the better.

2. 0007776 Suspended

It would be pretty hard to prove unless the seller said that was the reason they decided not to sell. I don’t think we necessarily need any laws to keep it from happening, but I don’t really see that as a good reason to not sell them a house. Selling a house seems a bit different than cases like bakers being compelled to help out with a gay wedding.

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

What a piece of trash. He’s supposed to be representing California and yet what he just proposed is completely illegal in our state. Time to vote him out.

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So I guess they don't have to sell to Christians either if they don't support their religious choices.

5. 0007776 Suspended

He is supposed to be representing the voters of his district, not California as a whole. It may be illegal in California, but so was smoking pot not too long ago yet you were fine with legislators supporting that. As to if it is something that his constituents want to be legal or not we will likely see in November when he is up for election.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You hit the nail on the head, they wouldn't know unless the seller outwardly stated the reason why they didn't sell to someone. By law banks can't discriminate their lending based on numerous factors, but sellers aren't bound by such rules. I'm free to sell to whomever I want and reject any buyer for whatever reason I want. Most sellers don't and will take the best offer they can get since it is a business transaction. We had a family put their house up for sale recently in our neighborhood and they turned down an offer from an Indian family because according to them it was almost two families going in on the purchase and they must have really cared about their neighbors. So aside from the weak offer, there were other factors.

7. WarHeadz, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018

WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Orange County leans slight to the right (even though they voted for Hillary), but no way in hell would the majority of Orange County residents support discrimination in housing. He just screwed up royally.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Probably a closeted gay who couldn't afford a house he had his eye on.

What a moron. The same people who get upset that pictures of Santa Clause and nativity scenes aren't everywhere during Christmas are the same ones pulling stunts like this.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Well, at least he’s not a hypocrite.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I honestly wouldn’t have a problem with that.

For one, how exactly is someone going to know that I’m a Christian? When you buy a house you usually don’t even know who the seller is until closing. And secondly, how many people would honestly do this?

Heck, how many people would know that a prospective buyer is gay? Does this type of descrimination actually happen so much to make a legislative issue out of it?

EDIT: For the record, I’m not saying I’m in favor of housing discrimination. I’m just wondering if this really is all that big of a deal.

12. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Really?

How about because not all gay men or women are single?

What happens when I go to view the house with my husband? Pretend we're just "room mates" Jesus Christ. Give me a break!

For those of us that this kind of discrimination might affect — It is one hell of a big deal.
    I find it reprehensible that you can't even begin to understand that.

13. BeeGood, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think you’re overreacting. Like, a lot.

Again, how many times do you think someone who is under contract on a house, and has already moved all their stuff out in anticipation of selling the house, will show up at closing and, upon the realization that the buyers are a gay couple, will say, “ya know what...keep your money”?

Has this every actually happened? I’ve certainly never heard of it. Might it happen? Sure. And like the poster above said, it might also happen to me as a Christian. It’s probably just as likely. And I don’t think a law is necessary in either case. Forgive me for not believing every potential offense imaginable requires a law against it.

If you can show me where this is actually a thing, I’ll join you on the outrage train. But until then, this really doesn’t seem like something to get in a twist about.

14. 0007776 Suspended

He is asking how likely it is to actually happen. Have you or anyone you know actually experienced this?

15. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Has anyone ever refused service to you simply because you’re a Christian? No? Well, since it rarely happens it should just be legal to do so, right?

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Well, discrimination against Christians is something that actually happens. It still happens today in some parts of the world. Try being a Coptic in Egypt or a Christian in China.

17. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yes, I’m aware. Did the comparison go over your head or are you just actively refusing to acknowledge the parallels?

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Edited. See above.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't currently have the time to verify this, but I believe the Civil Rights Act of 1968 shuts down this guys statement and sentiment. He should brush up on his laws and if not, get completely slapped from pillar to post with and by it.

BL.

20. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

People should have the right to refuse to sell their property to anyone for any reason.

21. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

1. We’re talking about America.

2. If you think gays don’t have it worse than Christians around the world, you be trippin.

22. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

There’s a difference between opening a business and selling your property (in this case a house).

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Our own state constitution shuts down his argument. He needs to sit down before he loses his re-election bid.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2018 ---
    Ok, if you actually believe it should be legal to refuse to sell a house to Christians then at least you’re not a hypocrite. Consistency is key.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you should be able to refuse to sell your stuff to anyone for any reason.

25. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Fine. Like I said, you’re consistent. I completely disagree with you but at least I can respect that.