Congressman Steve King says assuming all cultures are equal is 'devaluing' the Founding Fathers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 30, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

"If we presume that every culture is equal and has an equal amount to contribute to our civilization, then we're devaluing the contributions of the people that laid the foundation for America and that's our Founding Fathers," King said Tuesday, according to the Des Moines Register.

The controversial Republican lawmaker added that his remarks Tuesday were "not about race, it's never been about race. It is about culture."

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...ng-the-founding?amp&__twitter_impression=true

I’d be curious to know what King means by “culture”. Is he referring to American exceptionalism or something else?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

After Katrina plenty of rapes & looting
    After the tsunami people even returned cash they found. Yes cultures are different and we are failing in too many fronts :(

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

All cultures are equal if you look at the majority of people who just want to go to work, raise a family, be happy and have no problems. It's only a small number of people who bring negativity in the world in each culture.

Let's be clear, without the tremendous innovations of people around the world we wouldn't have many of the things we take for granted today. Writing, math, art, farming, domestication of animals, religion, entertainment - all these things began throughout Africa and Asia. Then their descendants migrated to Europe and America continents, some of whom forgot their roots and began to believe they were some kind of separate superior species.

4. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Not knowing anything about him, I read it as Western culture. Things that came about from the Magna Carta, Rule of Law, Bill or Rights, etc.

There are still many countries that have no clues what these values are.

5. jerwin macrumors 68020

Steve King would rather celebrate those who whipped their slaves, rather than those who were whipped.

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

He means that he thinks white people are superior. This isn’t complicated.

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It's Steve King for :mad: sake. If you know of the man, you know what he means by 'culture'.

King must think there's still time left on his 15 minute clock, and he's back for some of it.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Well that’s what I’m wondering. He’s not the most articulate guy and has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

He's a racist and a bigot, and wastes no opportunity to prove it, time and time again. While I agree with most of what the founding fathers said, many of them didn't practice it. I really don't give half a crap if equality and multiculturalism devalues the founding fathers.

10. LordVic macrumors 603

I don't know much about this guys history,

but statements like this are generally dog whistles for specific bases. Without screaming "Racism", it's hard not to think there is racial undertones to such a claim.

what exactly does "devalue the founding fathers mean". How is assuming that every person should have equal rights devaluing them? Wasn't the point of the founding fathers that every person has equal rights and freedoms regardless of their cultural background?

Or is this more of a "only white judeo-christian ideals are what the founding fathers envisioned" type nonsense?

11. samcraig macrumors P6

If you have to add a disclaimer that it's not about race.... and it's someone known to be racist. Then it's meant to be racist.

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

All cultures are not equal in every way. Each has it’s pluses and minuses.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, it's the old "I'm not racist, but..."

King has absolutely no business yammering about "culture," because it's clear what he means. He's one of those guys who displayed the Losers Flag on his desk, FFS.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Do go on. What culture or cultures have minuses, and why? And how do you define a culture?

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

There was the whole "all men are created equal..." thing by the FF. Not perfectly applied, mind you - but it was there and kind of torpedos this guys argument imo.

16. Solver macrumors 6502a

I don’t know about you but I don’t find that the culture within Nazi Germany was equal in every way to say the culture within the Arctic.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

There is no “but”. No one honestly says those first three words. If you cannot constantly demonstrate that you are a decent person, you cannot honestly claim to be decent, else thou dost protest too much.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree. It's such a weird construction and it tends to preload what you're about to say. "No offense, but" means not only are you about to say something offensive, but you're telling someone that what you're about to say is something you think is offensive, and you're trying to protect yourself.

If one feel that they need to add in this pretext, just stop talking.

19. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

No it doesn't. The fact that all people are equal in dignity and in their natural rights does not mean that they are all equally good at solving problems or that the systems they devise for solving them are equally effective. The fact that problems (food production/distribution, violence, wealth generation, housing, etc) are real and that different cultures solve them with different degrees of success torpedoes the utterly infantile argument of cultural relativism.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Assuming
    assuming you're using American culture as an example, your statement borders on ironic.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's definitely a missed opportunity. If I had that last name, I would put a sign on my desk stating, "It's good to be King." I could have even more fun with the first name "Grant".

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That was not a culture. That was a political movement. What is the culture within the Arctic?

You didn't respond to my question - how do you define a culture?

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

24. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Is radical Islam and those who adhere to Sharia law considered a culture? If it is I’d say it’s a big minus and certainly not something any other culture should aspire to.

25. JayMysterio, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Isn't that just asking another question though?

The issue here is wanting to use culture as a subject of discussion, but then hiding behind NOT wanting to clearly define what culture is in the context of that discussion. Thus we spend more time asking questions in response to other questions, never addressing King's true intent. We know King's history, we know whom he's unashamedly associated with, we know his rhetoric.

Yet there's still some confusion in what King is saying?