Congressman uses misleading graph to smear Planned Parenthood

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Sep 30, 2015.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well I would say lie. saying the chart you got directly from PP was actually from a antiabortion group with said source on the bottom. well Cecile Richards handed them their foolish butts.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/congressman-chaffetz-misleading-graph-smear-planned-parenthood
    [​IMG]

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This whole thing has been a lie from the start.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm disappointed that a member of Congress is using internet troll tactics.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm guessing that neither he nor his staff really understood just how dumb this was. They just generated (or borrowed?) a chart that proved their point, without realizing that the X and Y axis aren't arbitrary.

BTW, the chart plotted with correct axes:

[​IMG]

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Like I said, members of Congress shouldn't use internet troll tactics. They have also packaged the concept of funding in a disingenuous manner. Even one of your favorite right wing foundations is accurate on one point.

The arguments suggesting they defund Planned Parenthood generally neglect to mention that most of it is in the form of reimbursement for procedures.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Like anyone's going to do anything about it. See, one of the great things about telling everyone that the government is out of control, and are trying to take away your rights and freedoms is that you can say anything you want. If you get called to task for it, you can claim they're trying to silence THE TRUTH, and people will actually believe you. Oh, and if you mention Obama, you get bonus oppression points.

It's pretty ingenious, actually. Makes me think I should be doing it more often.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

I strongly object to this wanton mischaracterization. How dare you try and stifle THE TRUTH. This is oppression, plain and simple. If Steve were alive Obama were here, this would never happen.

Frankly, I stopped reading after "Congressman <verb> misleading <noun>". Tell me something unexpected, dammit.

8. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Wonder how all those mammograms are working out?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

For those women, millions who receive breast exams at PP where an anomaly is found, they are referred to get a mammogram and they fund it. I'd say they are probably working out quite well for the women who need them.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My mother hit the nail on the head when we were discussing this the other night. The reason the US can't move forward is that our ultra conservatives are living in the past. Roe V Wade was settled decades ago, but they will still go after abortion. Same sex marriage is also now a closed issue, but they will be fighting it for the next 30 years as well. Benghazi is a closed issue after hearings, but they still bring it up at every opportunity.

Stop spending our taxpayer dollars on issues that are closed, and let's start concentrating on the future.

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

You should really educate yourself more before spouting off the latest political attack by your favorite misinformed congressman :)

12. vega07 macrumors 65816

Wonder why some folks like you can't bother to understand how women's healthcare actually works before jumping into a women's healthcare debate?

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Thanks to the Supreme Court, these are not closed issues despite what the liberals and progressives tell us. In both Roe and Obergefell, the Court basically invented new rights based on flimsy legal grounds that resulted in split decisions. And since the legal underpinnings of these decisions are very, very weak, the people (rightly) question the decisions. Heck, even liberal legal scholars that support abortion rights are very critical of the Roe decision -- not because of the policy, but because of the flimsy constitutional arguments the court used to justify its decisions. Same goes for Obergefell -- there is nothing wrong with wanting same sex marriage as a matter of policy, but that is for the legislature to decide, not the court. The weak judicial underpinnings used by the court in that decision took the issue away from the states where it rightly belonged and in one fell swoop decided the status of marriage for the entire nation by a bare 5-4 vote. The decision had very little to do with constitutional law, as many legal scholars admit. So I'm not surprised in the slightest about the backlash.

This is what happens when the court wades into the culture wars and invents new rights that are not within its purview. So no, these issues are not closed, and in fact will likely become more contentious as time goes on.

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

And you believe this justifies using misleading graphs and fabricated videos in order to rally support for your positions. One should not need to resort to lies and deception in order to win the hearts and minds of people for a just cause.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Has this been corrected for the increase in US population?

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's kind of irrelevant to the funding issue. I pointed out using a highly conservative source (and a silly joke about it being Hulugu's favorite) that most of these funds are received as reimbursements. It is dishonest to suggest that they are simply budgeted as an unofficial government program.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

What a body-slam to the mat that was. :)

Jury’s not out on Benghazi either, nor is the investigations of Hillary’s use of a private email server that arose and became public during the Benghazi investigation.

I remember seeing Hillary and Susan Rice staring the TV camera in the face, saying Benghazi was a spontaneous attack triggered by a so-called inflammatory YouTube video. Oh, yeah. On that, Hillary and Rice were adamantly SURE about. Totally convinced. ;)

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

If that was a body slam, then I'm the lovechild of Ronda Rousey and The Incredible Hulk.

The jury will never "be out" on any of this because when conservatives are proven wrong, they tend to double down and go for more. Aren't there still people going on with birther nonsense?

19. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Fun bit of personal trivia, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 13. My mom at the time was a nurse's aide making minimum wage, so it goes without saying, we didn't have insurance.

The pain was unbearable, so mom took me to PP, thinking it was possibly Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. After some testing I got referred to a PP affiliated gynecologist, a few more tests (paid for by PP), I got transferred to an oncologist and well, I'm still here because of it.

I've been with friends who needed PP for various reasons; from illness to low cost contraception. All of this ******** in Congress is just mining for face time and votes.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, no. It's not a rate, but rather just a total number. But, that's a good question that would provide additional context.

This is the wrong tack. The purpose of the SCOTUS is to wade into "culture wars" when there's serious doubt about the decision of multiple lower courts, or the other two branches create fundamentally un-Constitutional laws.

If you were correct, then SCOTUS should avoid making decision about gun legislation, voting rights, and a host of other aspects of American culture that come into conflict. Remember, SCOTUS didn't just proclaim the right to an abortion or gay marriage, but rather set those rights within the framework of the USC.

These rights aren't invented because you say they are.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So was the death penalty, but that doesn't stop anti-capital punishment activists from pursuing what they see as a worthy cause. Nor should it.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Congressional witnesses swear an oath to tell the truth under penalty of perjury before testifying to a Congressional committee.

Seems like we oughta make congressional members take that same oath before questioning witnesses.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's a really good point. We consider issues settled law when they serve our interests, but mutable when they don't.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

25. sodapop1, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I think that is a great idea and it is very similar to what I said before. Anyone knowingly presenting false information in this type of setting should be subject to prosecution. These clowns in congress just grab whatever supports their opinion without any fact checking or due diligence whatsoever and to top it if, they will make no attempt to set the record straight for any false information that was conveyed. All they care about is whether or not it served their political agenda and then they move on. Outright voter fraud.