Congresswoman Threatened over NASCAR Cut Proposal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN) has recieved threats after proposing to cut the Pentagon's $7 million sponsorship of NASCAR teams. Highlights from the article:

Indeed.

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Any thread about threats on political or celebrity figures is patently ridiculous and a complete waste of time. Idiots on all sides of the aisle make threats every day. It's not news...

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What the hell is the federal government doing funding NASCAR is the first place? Are you kidding me? That needs to stop immediately. I can't believe that was hapening in the first place. Someone has some serious explaining to do.

4. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Get your government hands off our government-sponsored Nascar!

(Hint: That's what they're trying to do!)

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

These neanderthal rednecks are so stuck in the past that they're still using fax?

6. 184550 Guest

I agree, rather over the top IMO.

You're forgetting the caricature some of the users here hold of other people in certain regions.

IMO publicity is publicity. How is this different from paying for TV commercials or the like?

7. Lord Blackadder, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That depends on how many idiots are mobilizing.

I think a discussion of the wisdom of continuing Pentagon sponsorship for NASCAR teams to the tune of millions of dollars, at least while we remain in an economic crisis, is a valid one. Federal employees are being made redundant in increasing numbers, just about every federal, state and local program on the books is facing significant cuts. Why is this untouchable?

It looks as though NASCAR are caricaturing themselves:

I have never, by the way, said that Pentagon recruitment through NASCAR sponsorship was inherently wasteful. But in the current economic climate I think it is comletely legitimate to explore cutting it, at least temporarily. Republicans and Tea Partiers/Libertarians who reject such a proposal out of hand are merely paying lip service to their stated fiscal policy.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why does the army need commercials? If you're not considering joining the army now, a 30 second TV commercial or decal on a race car isn't going to make you change your mind.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are a LOT of "be all you can be" army commercials out there
    And many of them are aired during sporting events
    The NASCAR sponsorship was purely advertisement $$ in the same way

And I'm confused... is the article trying to equate NASCAR = Republicans?
    The last paragraph seemed that way

I don't care about the sponsorship one way or another
    But are they cutting all advertising $$ or just NASCAR?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Armed Forces should not be paying for TV commercials either.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They should cut all advertising money, whether it's NASCAR, TV, print, etc. It's a waste.

And I don't think anyone's trying to say NASCAR = Republicans, but when the message includes accusing her of being a Marxist and all that bullcrap, I think you can be fairly certain of what political party this individual supports.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no issues with the Army advertising on TV, online or in print. I do have an issue with a decal on a NASCAR car. That's just wasteful at any time.

Besides, we know NASCAR fans can't read. ;)

13. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I disagree - since we have a professional army, I think it is perfectly legitimate for the armed forces to recruit. That does not, however, mean that they ought to be insulated from financial prunings when economic times are tough, as they are now.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was just confused by this statement...

"We've heard innumerable times that the Republicans were elected to send a message from the people that we should stop spending money," he said. "And yet the people who sent that message want us to spend $7 million for a sticker on a NASCAR."

It seems to be saying that the people that elected the Republicans are the same people wanting them to spend money on NASCAR

I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion

And as far as advertising goes... in an all volunteer army, it is part of the recruiting process
    And I am sure they budget money for it
    Whether they spend it on commercials of guys jumping out of hellcopters, or for stickers on NASCAR cars doesn't really make a difference to me

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Why do you think advertising is a waste? The military needs to attract soldiers. As someone who has worked in the recruiting field for a time within the Air Force, the Air Force NASCAR drew in a lot of people. A lot of people who never considered the military found a link at the NASCAR site and started exploring areas they never would have otherwise.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think we just need to adopt the Swiss/Israeli model. That would eliminate all expenditures for ads and recruitment centers. Not to mention putting the absurdity of DADT to rest, once and for all. Might make politicians a little more hesitant to send their own children off to war, too.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

IMO we need to get the hell out of the middle east and greatly reduce the size of the military. To accomplish that, then advertising would be unnecessary.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That is true, as long as we stick to an all volunteer army, we need it. But I think that we would be better off if we switched from all volunteer to a smaller army that is mostly drafted for a year between high school and college. Then have volunteer special forces that stay for longer and recruit those from the people who are drafted. It probably would make politicians more concerned about sending their own children off to war, and also make any parent more worried about voting for politicians who want war.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well often times those TV commercial at least get people to look at it or dig deeper. It is enough to make the people at least want to consider it.

Honestly I think the NASCAR should fall under the advertising budget for the military and congress should not really have any real say on how that money is spent other than how much goes into it. Leave it to people hired and advertisement firms who specialized in doing advertisements to decide how it is spent. Congressmen are well idiots when it comes to knowing how to to best advertise.

Hell if the military is reduced they will reduced advertisements but as it stand the military is struggling to get enough people as it is and more importantly it is struggling to retain people. The 2 wars are not helping the case in that department at all.

Oh and lastly I do have some friends who went into the military and they even said it was a good thing for them and it would never of crossed their minded except for things like the TV ads, one was Nascar.

Remember 7 mil is not much money in terms of what is spent on advertising and that is small part of hte over all military budget as well. If anything it is part of their PR fund.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Again, the Israeli/Swiss model seriously needs to be considered. The 2nd Amendment to the Constitution supports that.

21. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Two wars that half of the country didn't vote for, but everyone has to pay for. If it wasn't for those, we wouldn't have the acute personnel shortages we are dealing with.

Again, I'm not saying the military shouldn't recruit. But everything needs to be examined if we are truly to reduce spending. There should be no sacred cows.

Conscription is fraught with all sorts of issues, and while I won't say I'm flat against it (especially if the system is geared largely towards non-combat/humanitarian operations), Vietnam provides us with a strong example of why it is not something to be considered lightly.

22. Squadleader macrumors regular

Do you feel the same about NPR....?? or any Gov't funding for the arts..??
    or funding with that which you don't agree with...?? (other than high speed rail)..In fact it is Gov;t monies that have already been allocated to the Army not additional....Although I do not watch or care about NASCAR, (even tho I come from the south and we cannot ssem to grasp the entire picture) I think it is a great recruiting tool...

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It would be different if the government was funding NASCAR
    Clearly, they are not, they are just using advertising $$
    How they spend those allocated $$ should be up to them

I agree that cuts should be examined in all areas, and cuts to advertising may be one of them
    But to single out NASCAR seems a little attention getting to me
    Cut the overall $$ and let them decide how to spend it

That said, any threats against any congressman or congresswoman is unacceptable for any reason.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I suppose. I just don;t think that so much government money needs to be put into advertising the armed forces. I'll go with MacDawg and say cut ad spending across the board.

25. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

To be fair, the clause proposing cutting Pentagon sponsorship of NASCAR is only one of over 400 proposed amendments to the larger funding bill.

Right now every state legislature, as well as Congress, is looking at making big cuts and we are losing lots of funding for things like education, research, infrastructure development, and other very important programs. Everything is on the table.