Connecing iphone 4 to your TV to show off pictures/recorded movies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by henrikrox, Jun 18, 2010.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So

overall the iphone 4 seems perfect for me, expect one minor flaw. i travel to my parents alot. My father uses a netbook, which means 720p would have a difficult time playing on his computer. I like to show them the movies i take on vacation (i travel alot)

The evo you just use a hdmi cable and your done. But im wondering how you can connect the iphone to the TV, the vga cable is to much fuss, cause it requries and additonal cable for audio also its to low ress, and the compoment cables are way to low res.

So how can you connect the iphone 4 to the tv, is a new cable coming out?

Or do i have to burn it and bring my laptop, which seems like a hassle.

2. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

why dont you read my post?

Its resolution is crapy, if you want to show off your 720p videos, which is 1280x720.

When the cable can only do 480p. then your recorded videos will look like crap.

READ!.

3. pirateRACE macrumors 6502

I really hoped they would come out with an Apple dock connector to HDMI... we are almost there with the Mini Display Port to HDMI.

4. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have the low brand component cables from best buy that connect to my 3GS and the video shows up just fine. I'm sure they will do the same for the iPhone 4.

5. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

There might be a HDMI component cable...I really want one

Someone can find us one maybe...? Im looking right now.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How do you know the iPhone 4 can't put out HD over the component cables?

Has that been reported anywhere?

EDIT: Ok, Apple's tech-specs page is making it look like not, but it does make it sound like you can get HD with what they call "VGA adapter." I'm not really sure...I guess they're talking about analog comptuer monitors and not TVs? So that's no help.

7. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

The 3GS records in VGA which is way worse then 720P.

And whats the point of just fine, if you record at 720p, u want to show it off at 720p, not vga or some pixelated resolution.

8. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 supports the vga cable just like the iPad. This cable will put out much higher resolution than the component cable.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How does that work, exactly? Do you convert the dock to the VGA adapter and then convert that to something else for TV input?

Kind of annoying they didn't just do 720p over component. That would have made everything simpler.

Well, at the worst you can do 480p over component which will probably look slightly better than DVD. Hardly a "pixelated" image!

10. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Component cables can output up to 1080p if the DEVICE supports it. Assuming the phone was made for 720p recordings, it should support output of 720p over the Component cables.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would have thought so too, but according to Apple's website it only does 480p over component. So they didn't make it to do that.

12. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

They will make an HD out dongle for the 30-pin connector in the near future. (My prediction)

EDIT: Meaning HDMI-out with both video and audio

13. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

VGA cable cant display 720p either. Ah, i love apple, but talk about doing it super hard for the consumer. I just don't get it...

Also wtih the VGA cable, you need 3,5mm to 3,5mm audio cable since VGA only does picture, and ye, i can just picture me all the cables and mess.

And yes 480p is standard dvd resolution, but again, whats the point with a 720p camera, if im showing it in 480p.

And yes, dvd quality is fine, but i thought we were over the DVD time. And yes i wont get pixelated but it would not look very good on a 55" TV.

I guess i will have to a tedious process of exporting, then burning and stuff like that.

Some times apple give me a headache, more open please!

14. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

If that's the case......I wouldn't stress to bad about it. I'm sure it will be upgraded in the future with an iOS upgrade. If you're really stressed about showing 720p, you'll just have to copy it from the phone to a laptop until they do the upgrade.

15. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

This is true, VGA is kind of difficult on all TVs. My TV and my familys TV have PC jacks with a VGA and a 3.5 mm for audio

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Quite frankly, with the size of the lens on the phone I'm expecting the iPhone HD video to look "about as good as DVD."

Which I'm not complaining about. That's fantastic for a cell phone! But my point is that I'll probably just use 480p component hook-ups to show off my videos and I don't think there will be that much difference between that and the "full" HD from this little camera.

That's based on my experiences with a lot of these little consumer HD cameras. The HD you get from them is about as good as the SD you'd get from a professional production. That's just the way these things work.

17. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Your post makes absouluty no sense at all.

Your saying that HD pocket cam compares to standard def with good video cameras, that i can agree on.

But what happens when the quality with a pocket cam is shown in 480p. The quality will also go down. Your not showing in HD anymore, therefor you cant compare to a pro cam in sd.

You keep forgetting your not showing in HD. I can promise you that the quality will be quite worse then dvd quality. remember the screen your showing this on...

But it seems pointless explaining. Just believe it wont be that much of a difference