Connect a secondary router to my new Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gwihannom, Nov 16, 2008.

1. gwihannom macrumors member

I've got a new Airport Extreme for my network and I had a question on extending my network.

I've been using Linksys WRT300N previously and have had no problem using the router.
    But since I've got a new Airport Extreme, I decided to use the new router as the primary router for my home office.

But I still want to use the Linksys product included in my network.

I have VOIP phone adapters and a network printer available and wanted to set it up in a different room.
    Airport Extreme will be in one room connected to the Cable modem in one room, distributing to all the computers in my wireless network and I want to use the Linksys WRT300N as a wireless access point or a wireless bridge set up in a separate room.

I have posted something in the Linksys forum and got no answer, so I'm looking for an advice here.

Is this possible and what setup do I have to do?
    I'm a little advanced user, so any advice could help me.

2. OptyCT macrumors 6502

You would have to set it up for WDS. First, I would download DD-WRT firmware for the Linksys router. I don't think the WRT300N can run WDS (even with this new firmware), but it's worth a shot.

3. gwihannom thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I figured out that the router does NOT support as being a wireless access point. I tried out the firmware but unlike the 54G from Linksys, WRT300N doesn't support it.

So to the second option.

Since I have Airport Extreme and a Linksys router, I want to try this:

1. Airport Extreme connected to the cable modem, distributing Wireless-N only.
    2. Linksys WRT300N connected to the Airport Extreme via ethernet, distributing Wireless G/B.

Is this possible? Any ideas?

4. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

Ever find an answer for this?

Hey did you ever have any luck setting this up? I'm looking to set up a similar network.