Connect Airport Extreme (2011 ver) to my NetGear R7000 to extend my network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by utopianbl, Jan 7, 2014.

1. utopianbl macrumors member

My aim is to read my drive on my airport extreme. I also want to use my R7000 nighthawk as my primary router due to better range and faster speeds - but I am planning on connecting a USB 3.0 ext HDD to this router to gain additional space.

I also have the old Apple Airport Express extender which is currently used to extend my network. I want to continue using this to extend my network to my basement.

What is my best setup option here?

thank you very much

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Ideally hard-wiring at least two of the devices together, rather than doing a wireless "extension" would be better, but depending on your situation might not be physically possible.

You could just add the Airport Extreme as another extension of the wireless network, but depending on what connects to what, I think you run the risk of having one connecting to the other connecting to the other. So in other words, if the Netgear is your primary, and the Airport Extreme "extends" that network, and then if the Airport Express connects to the Airport Extreme to "extend" the network again...you're kind of creating this daisy chain, and then your computer could potentially be going through 3 different devices (wirelessly) to make it out to the Internet. Could cause lag, especially if the signal isn't great from one to the other.